Today is Joel Andrew's third birthday. And, he is awesome. Yes, he is full blown toddler tantrum stages at times, he still gets major rashes, and he wants to talk constantly, but he is super, super cute and a really good boy. I am very proud of my first born.
He is super smart and remembers many lines to songs. All sorts of songs, from ABCs, to Red Solo Cup. He and I especially like to sing the Red Solo Cup song a lot. His memory is so remarkable. I can tell him once what we will be doing a few months from now, and over the course of the next few weeks he will randomly break it out: "I am going to the zoo with Declan in a few weeks, Mommy." He continues to talk about his impending visit to the Castle (Disney World). He has this rain-man like ability to remember exactly what car everyone drives, and on the highway the other day he even said: "Look, there is Ama's car!" And it was, an exact copy of Ama's car. When we drove past he said: "That's not Ama's car." I couldn't tell you what kind of car my parents drive, and yet my 3 year old knows.
He eats pretty well for a three year old, but I can still complain. I am a Hall, and we eat everything and Joel Andrew certainly did not get this gene. But, if you phrase it just right, he will try anything, and usually ends up liking it in the end. Some meals he will eat everything and want more, others he will barely touch his plate. He is truly a preschooler in this realm.
He is not shy with people and will say hello, bye, and how are you? to anyone. He is happy to say his name when someone asks, and always responds : "Joel Williams" as if the last name is an integral part. I learned that you know a kid is ready for kindergarten when they can say their address, so he can now do that too, in the cutest singsongy way. Still not interested in reading yet, no matter how hard I bug. He is incredibly confident, and when I say Joel, you are a good boy, he will respond: "Yeah (pause), I am!"
His grammar is not always spot on, and when you correct him he will remember it for next time, though it is sad. When we pulled in the driveway the other day he said for the umpteenth time: "We are at to Mommy Daddy's House." And, I was so chatty with him that I explained it was we are at home. It is all of our home(not just Mommy and Daddy), and you just say At home, not at to home. He said, "Ok Mommy." For the two days since, "We are at home, Mommy!" I miss we are at to mommy daddys house.
He is a wonderful big brother and takes great care of James. He will help James with things and try really hard to calm him down when he is upset. He will share with James and has learned to distract him with something else before taking his toy. They are so different the two of them, but so awesome as buddies. I am excited they have each other and hope this continues on a good path...
We got him a big boy bed, which he will rock, no problem. It will go in next week, it is a freakin sweet car bed. I can't believe the crib is going. So super sad, and happy at the same time, but sad. He has really grown into a great little boy and we are just crazy about him. He really loves his friends, and enjoys spending time with his parents (which is sad since I went back to work). Each day is a new opportunity of fun for him and boy am I glad it is the summer and I have days off here and there as every day he wakes up he asks: "What are we going to do today?" - Today I am so happy not to say go to school and instead say "going to the zoo, happy birthday!"
No comments:
Post a Comment