Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Letter from the 1st Grade Teacher

This past weekend, Joel's first grade teacher's son competed at the Olympic trials for men's Marathon.  Despite a crippling injury, and knowing there was no way he would be able to finish the full marathon, he went - with his goal of being able to complete 8 miles of the course. He did.  And, being a new runner Joel and I chatted about it a bit.  Today, I get an email from his first grade teacher:


It read:

I just wanted to share a special experience I had with Joel today during our morning circle.  First of all he was the first one to ask me about my son Andrew and his race.  He so articulately shared his thoughts regarding how he should feel proud for running the eight miles and how all that really matters is that he did his very best and finishing the race wasn't the most important thing.  What he shared was so incredibly thoughtful, encouraging, and caring.   It became a very interesting lesson in determination and pride for the entire class.  I was quite touched. Certainly a conversation I will always remember. What a great kid.  I would love to relay his words to Andrew if that is OK with you.  I just wanted to share this with you.  Have a great evening.



My initial instinct for a reply was: 

I'm so glad that he said this - because in all my training for my many 1/2 marathons, he would always say things like: "how come you did not run further today?"  And, "what do you mean you placed 275th?"  "what do you mean you aren't going to win, then why run?" I mean, hundreds of times he has said things like this.  He seemed not to be able to fathom that I would be in a race that I might not try to win.  It wasn't until I made him run a mile with me (and he only completed 1/2 that mile before whining in pain), that I think I finally got through to him.


But my reply really was:

Thank you so much for sending this message along.  Of course please do share with Andrew -- and please also thank him for us as well.  His story was quite inspiring for my Joel - about working hard towards goals and not being defeated when obstacles step in your way.  We all rooted for Andrew here and were thinking of him this past weekend. Thank you for allowing his story to be apart of our family's conversation.  

It's so nice when your hard work and discussion pays off!  But it is even nicer to know that Joelly really meant everything he said, and really has grown from Andrew's story.  I'm proud of my little guy today, my little guy with big guy thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment