Tuesday, February 16, 2016

New Puppy Update

So, it is a sad update on our new puppy.

We have visited Wim twice since the fateful puppy selecting party day.  Two times for the boys to snuggle and love him, and for him to flop around running after them as they eventually got bored and rather watch TV.  No joke, there Joel Andrew is whining that he wants to watch a show and this little puppy is flopping after him saying: "hey, dude, pay attention to me!"  Of course, after we pointed that out Joel Andrew put the TV to the side.  Wish we could say the same for James.

So, we had noticed originally that his paw was a little different.  Two of his toes on his left paw seem to be joined.  Not a big deal, we thought initially.  Otter had something "not perfect" about her too, and we were ok with it - we called her our discount dog.  Maybe we are supposed to always get discount dogs.  Angus probably should have been a discount dog.

A week goes by and we see him again and his toes are looking more pronounced, but we do not care.  If I can't run with him, no big deal.  We didn't know if he would like running anyway, and what are the chances I will actually still be running, too?  This is not the only reason I am getting this dog - far from it, so if he can't run, no big deal and we will be ok.  Forget about his paw, enjoy time with him and adore him.  Then go out to dinner.

Fast forward one more week (last week) and we get to see him again.  Now he seems a ton bigger, and with just one quick glance to the cute guy - it is unavoidable, you can see his paw right away.  In just one week it got bigger.  He is not walking funny, he doesn't seem to notice, but it is growing or getting worse.  There is a difference.  The breeder/trainer is going to take him to a specialist and we will see what happens.  We leave and I give him a kiss goodbye, and I casually mention to Joel Husband I am nervous and with his complete agreement and validation of my nervousness it grows and turns into now I am really sad.

I google the situation, which you should never do.  And, I get mad at myself.  We should have also never involved the kids and never named the guy and not visited him these weeks.  We are now attached to this poor guy and I feel terrible.  I knew not to do this - sort of in the same vein as don't count your chickens, name your child after it is born, you haven't actually won the lotto until you cash that ticket.  I knew puppies can get sick, bad things can happen.  But we were excited to enjoy this process as a family, and here we are.

So, the trainer/breeder brings Wim to the vet yesterday, and what we have suspected is coming true.  It is not just a simple live with it deformity, and he will need surgery, next week.  We were to take him home Wednesday, but that is done now.  He will get the surgery on Monday and he will need to stay with the breeder for at least another two weeks.  Joel spoke with the trainer, and she mentioned something about other litters too.

I had to tell the boys and we discussed that Wim may need special care, care that we are not experienced enough to give him and he may need to stay with Gail but we can visit him and still love him.  Joel Andrew, ever the President, said he was sad but immediately noted that he goes to school all day and I go to work, so Wim really might need someone who can take care of him all day long.

So, this is where we are now.  In puppy limbo.  Our little guy who snuggled with my little guy, and won his heart -- may not be ours after all.  We are going to wait to see how the surgery goes, and how the recovery goes.  I am promised that if he indeed does need special care, he will be well cared for and will stay with the breeder or go to a home that can accommodate him.  Oh boy I hope so.If this is the case we would be in line for the next litter, but I don't know if I can stand this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment