Monday, February 7, 2011

Skiing and Restaurants

This past weekend we went to Sunday River. Just the three of us. It is always an event when you arrive up there the first time for the season, and you have to lug all your stuff up three flights of stairs. Husband was extra angry because this time I could not help him and played the pregnancy card.

We tried a normal trip up. Normally I like to schedule long car rides around naps only, but this time we used a triple weapon, DVD player, dinner buffet and then bedtime. It worked like a charm. He watched a Disney movie on the way up, we stopped in Portland for dinner (Old Country Buffet, that experience is for another blog, let me tell you), and then by the time we were back in the car he was fast asleep for the night. Sadly, Joel Andrew was soaked through when we arrived at Sunday River. He, I guess - needed a diaper change really bad. We neglected him and thus a disaster. He was shaking by the time I got him up from the car seat and outside - back into the condo, where the heat was off. Pee pants was not the word. But after the drama the kiddo went right back to bed. Good man!
As you can see from the rest of the photos, skiing is not yet his thing. But I totally feel for the mini-man. I just learned how to ski a few years ago and I remember how terrifying and strange it is to learn. Joel Husband totally forgets and thinks that the bunny slope is really nothing - but it can appear big and scary to a 23 year old, so imaging to an 18-month old? Plus, he was all bundled up (perhaps too bundled), the sun was shining bright, and there were all these other new people on skis, snowboards and snowmobiles. Too much to take in.

The pool was a big hit though and we will be visiting that again for sure. We also learned a very valuable lesson, I think we are done with fine establishments for a while. Our favorite place up there, The Jolly Drayman, is so good. Delicious beers on tap, and a great menu of British/Indian pub fare. So good. We tried to take the little guy, but it is time that we face it, our dining out days are over. He cannot sit still, he throws the crayons, I get stressed out, we all shove down our food, and then pay a huge bill for something that was not enjoyable and just reminds Mommy of all the fun she is missing... So, it looks like for now we will be sticking with the family places. Maybe one step up from Old Country Buffet though please.

No comments:

Post a Comment