Saturday, September 15, 2012

First Soccer Practice


This morning was Joel Andrew's first soccer practice.  We are starting this, already.  My old boss would always be off to some sort of soccer practice or game, it seemed - and I would always say that would never be me, but here we are.  Three years old and starting already.


We decided he would be the best dressed kid there, so Joel Husband went all out in the clothes, as you can see.  His friends Laurel and Ava are also in the class (and Max too, but he wasn't there today).  Nana and Pa are in town, so we all went to practice.  This was probably a lot for Joel, and multiple meltdowns ensued.


Of course, everyone has a different parenting style, which did not help the meltdowns, but when they passed, he really seemed to have a good time.  Running after the ball, and kicking and mostly hitting it. His coach, Aidan, is from Scotland and very nice.  He actually had some sort of structure to the day and was teaching some of the kids (mostly girls) - the ones that listened, to dribble the ball.  I was very impressed with this - the kids that were learning.


To be outdone, other families were experiencing the same like we had, a child that teetered on meltdown at any moment.  I watched one poor dad, that clearly thought his son would be the best in the class, probably practiced with him way too much before getting here - follow his son around the field yelling "Jason, put the stick down, we are not playing with sticks." This went on for a good 20 minutes, and made me feel better.


Eventually I gave up on Joel Andrew altogether, to which his coach told me I needed "patience."  (if he didn't say it in that cute Scottish accent, I may have hit him).  So, I got Nana and James to come over from the swing set and join in on the soccer fun.  To no one's surprise, James was a much better soccer player than his brother.  He did not tanturm, or complain.  At one point, when Coach Aidan asked everyone to put the ball on their head, James did so. Joel Andrew whined at the side.  James then dribbled the ball better than any of the other kids there!  He had all of the parents and grandparents at the sideline smiling and laughing.


If I sound a little bit like I have a favorite, it is because I do.  I admit it.  At this very moment in time, this week, James is doing really well.  And, Joel Andrew is driving me nuts.  He is in the full on tanturm about anything, wants to disagree with you over everything, yells no all the time mode.  This better pass, and pass quick.  I kid you not, I will cancel Disney before I will go there for a week with this kid!  Someone bring my old Joel Andrew back!


1 comment:

  1. Has Joel Andrew entered the .5 of the year for him? That can always be a factor. I find with Cameron that she has a few bad weeks (so bad it feels like months, not weeks!) and then she pretty much straightens back out. So hopefully ti's just a stage. We decided not to do soccor because I heard it was pretty unstructured. Instead we've been doing gynmastics at the Little Gym and it's been awesome! (NOTE: Little Gym has real equipment, not like Gymboree). Keep updating on the soccor lessons, though, if it gets better I might consider doing that for Cameron.

    ReplyDelete