Sunday, November 11, 2012
Weekend with James
This weekend James and I escaped for a bit to Camden, Maine - while the Joel's went to Sunday River and Sebago Lake. I love Camden and that area of Maine, and I had brought Joel Andrew there once before for a getaway, so I was excited to do the same with James. Extra special reason - and the reason that prompted us to go - to visit Dana and her new little one, Elise - who is just too cute for words!
James was a great traveller, he is super cute and super excited to use what little words he knows. The kid has excellent vision, because if there is a fish or a bird in sight (ceramic, fake, real, on a poster, etc) he will notice it and point it out to you. He, for the most part is a little angel and listens really well. But, every once and a while the devil gets in his eye and I know something is coming, usually in the general direction of my face or across the room. The kid has a temper and when he gets frustrated he smiles, but throws anything within reach. While talking to Dana about this - sort of in my warning to her about how he can do this (she was in disbelief as he was still being a perfect little cute angel at this point) - I figured it out. I joyfully exclaimed: "he is like that green man, you know, from the movie with that Jennifer lady who was in that other movie with Russell Crowe..." Blank look of disbelief from Dana... The Incredible Hulk! Yes! James is just like the Incredible Hulk. He is sweet and mild mannered, but get him angry and boy he can toss a car across the street.
So, me and the Hulk went out to dinner, the Waterfront, with Dana and Elise. James was pretty good for a while, but then he quickly became like a mini-drunken man. It was a Saturday night, after his bedtime, and it showed. He was a mess, dropping things left and right and getting irritated at the smallest things. I pretty much had to drag him out of the restaurant as he babbled. Really, just like a little drunken man. Elise was a dream - sleeping the entire time.
James did pretty well at night, he woke up twice, as if to say: "hey, this isn't my room" - cried for a bit and within a minute went back to bed. We had a nice breakfast together and did some walking in Camden and shopping. And, then, met our dining friends again for lunch at Moody's. James again oscillated between the cutest thing you ever did see and crazy man throwing crayons and cookies across the room (one cookie landed in Elise's bucket - perhaps an attempt to share?). Of course, I reacted terribly by laughing in hysterics... I am thinking I have to get a handle on this.
Either way, James will look back on this blog post one day when he is the Superbowl MVP Quarterback who threw the winning touchdown and say, "I should totally buy my Mom a house on the waterfront in Camden Harbor." I agree! I hope to make it a yearly trip with my boys up there, a different one every year, to see all the fun places I enjoyed when I was a kid going to Maine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment