Thursday, April 11, 2013

Aquarium (First Day Back)

Monday was my first day back as a SAHM, though this time it is again Part Time.  I have started my new job at a Museum in transition close to my house, lots to do and lots going on.  But that is not for this post!  Instead, back with the kiddos!

I decided to take my first day and dive right back in, so we went to the Aquarium.  Everything about it was awesome.  We had a leisurely morning getting ready around the house, I actually cooked breakfast rather than re-heated frozen items, the boys were loving all of it.  In the car ride down we watched Finding Nemo which was fantastic - as when we got to the Aquarium James was all about everything.

One would have thought it would have been terrible.  The New England Aquarium is re-doing it's massive center tank, and thus the main attraction was gone, and most other attractions altered, Including the penguins as well.  But, not so - not so at all.  Perhaps everyone else decided to avoid the Aquarium so the place was empty except for a few foreigners who were confused.  James, Joel and I had the place to ourselves.  What's better, some of the big fish, sharks and turtles are now swimming in the water where the penguins formerly lived (temporary) - sad that it is temporary because James could get such a better view of the fish looking at them from above, we all could.  Not to mention, the awful smell that usually hits you when you first walk in the aquarium, gone!  I guess penguins really are smelly.

So, I recommend it to all.  We were all so entertained it was hard to leave.  Though, Joel was always interested to go to the next tank and next attraction, James could have stared at each tank for hours.  It is fun to see him in these places, as I did not get a chance in the past year to take him to more than 2 or 3.

 They both really loved the little penguins, which were on exhibit off to the side, in a place that I can only assume is not normally open to the public.  They stood in front of a floor to ceiling length window, with the penguins 6 inches from them on the other side of the glass.  They were the only two kids in the room, filled with adult tourists, and I decided to have fun.  So, everything the penguins did, I asked the boys to do - "see, he is lifting his head back."  They did it.  "See, they are wiggling their butts."  They did it.  The whole room laughed, it was awesome.


We then went to have lunch on the Greenway, which is also awesome.  And, the more prepared Mommy that I am I brought lunch for all of us which was a sad mistake!  Now they have food trucks, food trucks people!  Yum!  Anyway, we sat there for 40 minutes while the boys screamed out every name of car, truck, bus, bicycle, trolley, and my new favorite, cement mixer that went by.  Boy entertainment, and Mommy got some sun.

We then walked a little bit around the harbor and found a playground which I knew we had to go in as Joel noticed it before I could steer them away.  It was 5 minutes to James nap, and we were about to embark on a 30 minute dirty session, oh well I said!  Sure enough, within 2 minutes Joel Andrew announced he needed to go potty so we were all set.



The boys laughed and giggled the whole way home. Which was a surprise, I thought they would both nap.  All the better for me, James went to bed the second he got home and Joel Andrew and I planted our garden.  It was actually really, really awesome.

I was so glad to have a good first day back.  It is hard to believe that there is only a matter of months (albeit about 16) before Joel Andrew goes to school.  Once he goes to Kindergarten, it is all over.  Mine as well be going to college then.

Please note, there are lots of awesome photos to accompany this post - but my connection is not working well now.  Soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment