Monday, April 22, 2013

Crane Beach, Appleton Farms and Fried Oysters


We were to go to the See Science Center today, but as it is school vacation week in NH, we decided to keep away.  So instead we visited some of the old places Mommy has worked - we went to Crane Beach first.  It is one of those incredibly beautiful blue sky days, but windy and cold.  You think it should be 65 degrees because the sky is so blue and the buds are on the trees, but in reality it is 45 and it feels like 20 because you are expecting it to be warm and it just isn't.  We still suited up and went to the beach anyway, and lasted a good twenty minutes before Mommy decided we should get to the car before we freeze.  For the record, there was only one other car in the parking lot when we got there - at Crane Beach!  It was amazing.


The boys picked up seashells of all shapes and sizes and I tried to teach them the difference between a snail shell, an oyster shell, a clam shell, the shell of a crab that is no longer with us.  Joel may have got something from this excursion?  Regardless, they laughed and ran and touched and dug and looked so I think it went well.  When we were leaving I showed Joel the sand dunes and told them they were called sand dunes and he responded: "Mommy, I didn't know that before.  Thank you for teaching me."  Nice!


We then journeyed onto Appleton Farms, walked around, saw the moo cows, smelled the farm, saw the choo-choo drive through the property (a huge hit) saw the tractors in motion (a huge hit for Joel, James was terrified), and just in general had a great time.  But, I let it go too far for too long and we went through a bit of craziness before we finally sat down to lunch.


I decided not to pack a lunch for this trip.  This weekend Cristel and Doug visited, and my little James sat in my lap and ate tons of every kind of cheese Cristel and Doug brought.  Blue cheese, yum.  Goat Cheese - his favorite.  All sorts was loving it all.  We joked he ate $20 of they cheese they brought...  So, today I took him to get fried clams from the Clam Box.  And, yep - he ate them, and the fried oysters, ate them all.  Good thing I got the plate!  He barely touched his hot dog, which his brother ended up eating.  Looks like either we are in a he-will-eat-anything-phase, or he is a true Hall.  I remember when Joel Andrew was so good at eating - though he would never try blue cheese and fried clams.  Joel Andrew would not even touch the pasta I made last night for dinner, it had mozzarella balls, mini-tomatoes and basil in it and a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  You would have thought the world was ending the way Joel reacting to this "evil" pasta.  Again, James and I ate it up.


Now I am hoping the both of them will nap, Mommy is tired and Daddy isn't coming home for four more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment