Saturday, November 1, 2014
Halloween at Our House
People ask me what my sons will be for Halloween and my answer is always - for which event? I think this year, between the two of them we had 6 costumes. It isn't like we purposely went out to buy 6 costumes, it is that most of them have accumulated over the years, and they are just happy to go back to them and use them again. Many of them we now put in the dress up area of their play room, only one of them was really purchased with Halloween in mind, and that was for the family theme - which this year was the Princess Bride.
James had a party for daycare, Joel had a party for school. We had the epic neighbor party to go to (so, so, so much fun!). The PTO had a party. Joel was invited to a classmate's party at her house. Trick or Treat happened too, and that was fun, but it is funny how it is now overshadowed by all of the other events.
With all that happened, and all that we did, for some reason it still felt like it went by so fast and I missed the real celebrations. Is Halloween really over? Is the summer really over? This year we missed so many things we usually do mostly because of my work. There was no Storyland, there was no apple picking. It was sad, and not getting into the Kindergarten groove has really unexpectedly spent us emotionally - so maybe that is the reason too.
We welcomed a new cousin, Lucie! We did have lots of work to our house this last week and a half - still will be going on for another week or two - but I have felt with it much better than I have in the past. I didn't deal with it well, just better. There is just a lot going on. It is stressful, happy, wonderful, annoying, emotional, and crazy things all happening at once. At times I think I might explode (this is usually at work, when I have a volunteer who wants to argue with me about trick or treating candy while I need to be raising $30,000!). To top it off, I have missed my Jamesy-Mommy days (the one big thing I have been looking forward to in spite of Joel leaving me for Kindergarten, James and I are to have this time together! But not yet!) because of all this stuff with work and house and life. This week I am missing a good work meeting because I NEED a Jamesy-Mommy day. We will see if house construction gets in the way again.
The truth is, the boys had fun. We did carve pumpkins and make pumpkin seeds, which is new. We read halloween books every night this week, which I am glad I finally have found the space and time to do. They LOVED trick or treating - and this may have been the last year we can get away with taking the car to our neighbors houses. 45 minutes, 10 houses, done. Next year we might need to drive to where all the houses are and just camp out for 2 hours while they go crazy. That is ok. Times are a'changing. I have to change with them and be excited for them!
Now off to "kill Halloween" and get the house looking Thanksgiving ready. I am so psyched for the holidays this year (the Museum closes November 29th… just a few things in December, and then quiet and family time I hope is mine!!!). So maybe I should just focus on this year being the big year for Christmas in our house!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment