We have been taking ice skating (aka Hockey) classes. Not we, but the boys. They LOVE it! I am indifferent, and I will tell you why… But, the boys LOVE IT!
I thought they would hate it. The first time we went out we brought Nana and Pa with us, and in the haste I forgot their helmets, we needed to borrow some from the lost and found and we rushed our way to get on the ice. I KNEW they would just be freaked out and have the worst time, I was a mess and I was totally giving them the vibe to also be a mess too.
But NO. They fell, and got back up and fell again and go back up and waved excitedly. They smiled and laughed and had a good time and by the end of the class Joelly was gliding. The best part of the entire class was watching Pa's face. I have never seen my father in law laugh so hard as when he was watching these little kids push the little red carts around on the ice and fall straight on their bums. If my boys were having the time of their life, Pa was over the moon.
The next week we went back, and the boys were both much better at it. This made for less fun for Pa and I, as it was a little less entertaining. Not like we are saying we want to just watch our kids fall, but yeah… Joelly did so well he advanced a class. We were proud hockey parents let me tell you.
Week three I was on my own. And, I was a mess. Though we arrived 10 minutes early, Joel did not get onto the ice until 20 minutes into class. We tried three different skates, I couldn't get the helmet to work, I spilled my coffee. Being a hockey parent is a lot of work and you better be prepared. But, despite all my drama - and there was a lot of drama (I need to learn how to keep my cool and be a bit more patient and lower my expectations on how quickly we can do things and how many things we can do…) the boys still LOVED it. Joel can totally skate on his own and has even tried skating backwards. James is doing a bit better, he is doing as well as can be expected for a 3-1/2 year old who does not really like to listen…
Looking forward to a few more weeks of ice skating fun. Then, I wonder… Will it be years and years of ice skating? I will need coaching on how to be a good parent in this situation if so!
No comments:
Post a Comment