Saturday, November 1, 2014

Morning Cuddles

Each morning, my boys come in and "cuddle" with me.  They ask to do this, and they each come in their spots in the bed and snuggle in.

Joel Andrew is kind of a frustrating snuggler.  He is polite and well-mannered, and happy for it to be morning and alert and excited for the day.  Where did this morning person come from?  In our family especially?  On the days we need to go, go, go - my 5 year old will get himself dressed, get the dog up and feed and walk him, and even pick out and potentially serve (depending on the meal) his own breakfast to him and his brother.  In a year or two I will not even need to wake up!

Anyway, because he is so excited, on the mornings when he cuddles he moves around a lot.  He cannot find a spot and stick there.  He is constantly moving, scratching, making noises with his nose.  I asked him this morning, very calmly, "Why are you moving so much?"  His response - "I need to move around until I get a good spot."  He finally stopped moving so much, and I asked him if he found the spot.  He replied with a very enthusiastic Yes!  Then, he scratched his legs.

James Morris is quite the opposite.  He is anything but a morning person.  On the days we need to go, go, go - he stops, stops, stops.  He can be found whining, usually without pants, on the floor of his bedroom or at the top of the stairs.  His location is dependent on where you are, close enough so that you may enjoy his whining, but far enough so that you need to come to him.  To help him. He needs attention, he needs help, he needs coddling.  He will be 16 and probably will need to be beaten out of bed, he will come downstairs with his hair still a mess and he will demand eggs.  Joel Andrew, dressed to the nines, will be there serving said eggs.  Mommy will be in the corner reading this blog submission, thinking I was so clairvoyant, drinking coffee.

But, for all James lacks in the morning person department, this is made up in spades in the cuddle department.  He sinks right in.  He climbs in the bed without even asking and fits right into the groove and like a rock just lays there.  Every once in a while he will look up and just tell me he loves me.  It is pretty much the best.  He and I cuddling together is kind of not a good thing, as we both have to convince each other it is time to get up.

How much longer will I get the morning cuddles?  Don't get me wrong, sometimes this is a bad thing.  I have to put a check on it occasionally because they will wake up earlier and earlier looking for a cuddle.  It only happened once or twice, but I have woken up in the middle of the night to James in my bed - snoring away.  How did he get there?

I will take it as long as it lasts though!

No comments:

Post a Comment