Tuesday, September 8, 2015

End to Summer

Each year we spend many summer weekends at the lake, and each lake season is a different one.  Some years we focus on going up the river; others partying with friends, and yet others walking the circle.  This one was as usual, different.  We had different past times - different trends.  I list them below.  This will forever be known as the summer of:


  • Visiting babies.  We had Mike & Martha, and Cristel & Doug, first time parents with their little littles.  Not to mention our own Lucie just two doors down.  There was also preggos too.  We loved having our boys interact with the little ones; and we spent a lot of time inside, in the shade, and not on the boat.  Still, lots of epic fun was had.
  • Running (for mommy).  I worked all season, and towards the end I made it to the end of Cape Road and back (11.1 miles!).  I ran with friends, learned a lot about distances and the lake, and had a great time. Joelly and I even ran the loop once.  I wonder if I will ever enjoy that as much again?
  • Not so much Keg, and not so much wine corks in the ceiling.  Our kegerator had issues towards the beginning of the summer, and last we checked there was still a ton of beer in that keg up there (don't worry, we will be back in a few weeks).  I certainly drank a ton of wine, but between having preggos visit, screw caps, and a new rule "wine must be enjoyed on the porch" - we didn't stick as many caps on the ceiling as we normally do.
  • Joel husband made a lot of blueberry mojitos.
  • Floating, this summer - in front of the docks.  Lots of it.  Love that.  Can't get enough.
  • Boys swimming, with and without life jackets, in front of the docks, to the float dock.  And, the dive that is more like a protracted belly flop.  That happened a lot too.
  • Grilled pizza.  Got better each time. 
  • Papa Red!  He visited twice.  Good times, and a Polish night to boot!
It was not a summer of:
  • reading.  Still working on my second book.
  • Canoeing or Kayaking.  Didn't make it out ONCE!  Argh!  Maybe next year!  Joelly, on the other hand, took his kayak all around our docks constantly.  Next year for sure.
  • Company.  We had a lot of alone, family weekends which was nice, and we had for the first time ever - cancellations!  I guess it is a sign of the times!
Till next year.  Its a lot of work (first world problems) but good memory making for our boys.  Just one weekend left for me.  Later this fall.  Forcing myself to make it up there to see the leaves change, and kinda excited about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment