James Morris was very good - walking home with me, in Epcot. We stopped in France to buy my annual perfume (if you go during Food and Wine, and probably other times too, you can get some to engrave your name on the bottle, which is pretty neat). Anyway, he was great. He was patient, and nice, and kind. And, we were leaving the Park after I had bought my perfume (and had it shipped home, so I wouldn't have to pick it up, pay tax, or check my bags) - and he remarked on just how good he was, could he get a special treat?
Here's the deal. My son has had a hard time adjusting to Kindergarten. Continues to have a hard time. He is a mess. When he is good, I want to reward him. (this may or may not be effective but is not the point of the blog post). He was really good, and what was more, he pointed out he was being good. So whether or not this was a good plan, I wanted to reinforce for him that if he is good, good things happen, so when he asked if he could get something special in the next store, I said yes.
In the next store was lots of the same, stuffed animals, t-shirts, etc. We need something more. Something entertaining and that will last. PINS! We bought a lanyard and a starter set of pins. He was proud, happy and excited. He learned about trading and was in. I was in.
Then, the next day he proudly adorned his pins, and his brother stated: "Where are MY pins?" While the boys were looking at the manatee, I bought Joel Andrew pins, again not to give the baby what he wants, but because he was excited to participate. Set aside your Disney is evil mentality for a minute (don't worry, I'll get back to the commercialism of it later) and let's discuss:
- The pins allow the guys to have conversations with others. They need to be polite, and to ask to trade. They need to look people in the eye, and they need to be nice.
- It is something that they can identify with others in the park. You are wearing pins, so am I. Hate as you must about Disney, but a common core of it is that people who come here and love it, love it. And when someone is wearing that pin necklace, you know they are in. If your kid is in, why not let them talk to Danielle from AK, Rodney from IL or Clara from NJ. Or, the cast members. And that brings me to my next:
- The cast members cannot refuse the pin trade, so the kids will gain confidence trading with them. The rules are the cast members will trade up to two pins with you. They get pins with little mickeys on them that you cannot buy. You have to trade for them.
So, I'll get my child these infernal pins, what's the deal?:
- There are "cheaper" pins, and more expensive pins. Buy a starter set of the cheaper pins, and let that be the only pins that your child trades.
- Every once and a while, you will want to buy a nice pin. You can. But don't let your child wear it, or if they do, get the locking back. Pins fall off. You do not want to pay $20 for a pin and have it fall off. Nor do you want to argue with your irrational 6 year old about this pin cost $20 and that one cost $6. So from the very start, set pin rules. "That's a saver pin, we save that one for home."
- We use the more expensive pins as big milestone moment rembrances. (or at least we will now). You rode on that rollercoaster for the first time? You get a pin!
- I want to repeat. The pins will fall off. Schedule pin time vs. non pin time, buy extra backs, and if a pin is loved, do not wear it in the parks.
Enjoy. Both my boys have loved the process, and loved trading. We will continue, but we will be more careful. Above all, this is not a cheap endeavor. So - plan accordingly!
No comments:
Post a Comment