Friday, August 26, 2016

Disappointing Summer

This summer turned out differently than I would have normally wanted.  It was busy, it was hectic, the boys were away from me a ton.  We haven’t been to the beach yet. I worked a lot, and felt a ton of stress about it.  James is going to kindergarten in a week and I would have thought this summer would have been one last epic sendoff with us having done many Joelly-Jamesy-Mommy days, and the truth is we haven’t had a one.  Each time I went to plan one, something else would come up.  For work, for family, for something else.  With less than one week left my beach afternoon will be scheduled down to 1 hour because of flag football try outs.  And, my last Monday with the boys will be interrupted right smack dab in the middle of the day with Kindergarten preview.

It hasn’t been all bad.  It has been epic in other respects, too.  The boys had three straight weeks at the lake, and found a new favorite camp, Center Day Camp.  They had a lot of time with their Nana and Pa and cousin Lucie, and they got to learn about Israeli culture at their new camp, and take a boat to and from camp every day.  They still rate this as their most favorite camp of the summer.

We haven’t been to the library, we didn’t go to the Zoo (first time ever missing York Wild Animal Kingdom), no trip to Water Country (not to sad about that one), we didn’t go to Storyland and still have not yet been to Santa’s Village.  But, we went to our Seacoast Science Center concert (which in the end, ended poorly because of too much over scheduling).  Basically, last night they were home, and we went through their Little Passports mail which had been backed up and it was wonderful.  Perhaps the less scheduling, the better?  Though I feel like we missed our favorites.

I also wonder how many moments are left at York’s, Storyland?  Will they want to go back again?  Did I just miss out on our last chance to do these things?  Should I be sad about this?

We missed a trip to the Cape to visit my parents which seemed like it wouldn’t be a big deal, but this week – the week we should be there, it is hurting. We also missed the lake a bunch – because of Mommy’s work, but also because of a good reason – we got to go to Montana with our best friends.  The kids good friends’ parents are our good friends and a great (and sometimes very challenging) week was had.

Lots of grandparent time, lots of amazing adventures centered on them, in amazing places (a bazillion dollar ranch in Montana with a stocked trout pond for them to fish, and a rec barn for them to play in and atvs for them to ride) has been great, but also taxing on their personalities. It has been a challenge getting them to behave, and not act entitled.  Respect.  I have been trying to teach them respect.  There has been more whining, more attitude, more fighting than ever before.  And, I have never screamed so much or so loud at them than this summer.  Maybe it is just this summer, or maybe this is the next phase.

So, I guess I should not be so upset about this, and remember and make a list of all the things they got to do this summer, and star the ones I got to do with them, too.  That’s the new thing, right?  They are going to get to do things by themselves, and I will be there sometimes and I will not be there others. Now, it is teaching them to get to be grateful for these opportunities and to respect others that I really need to work on, too.

Things we did do this summer:
  • Went Strawberry picking with Laurel, made Strawberry Jam together*
  • Spent 3 weeks straight in Maine with Nana and Pa, and went to Center Day Camp.
  • Got to visit Yellowstone Park on the 100th Anniversary of our National Park System*
  • Enjoyed a Seacoast Science Center Concert despite Joel Andrew’s whining for a cheeseburger*
  • Opened and enjoyed (in some manner) our Little Passports things and started talking about future vacations*
  • Had time at the Museum of the Rockies*
  • Learned to backstroke (James)
  • Joel Andrew and I kayked together and an eagle soared over us while a loon called to his friend just a few feet away from us.*
  • Joel and James both made new friends at camps.
  • We watched a Rugby game, and the boys were excited to learn that their Mommy was a Rugby player*
  • We all took our new puppy for a walk together in the woods with our trainer, Gail*
  • Went to the Beach with Heather and Laurel and boogie boarded.*
  • (must keep adding!) We did do a ton!

No comments:

Post a Comment