Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

Perhaps I should sadly start out where this day ended up, right now the house is spotless clean, I have a clean and no more do we have a Christmas Tree.  85% of the Christmas Decorations inside the house are put away, and a toddler went to bed with a rather serious gash on his head, while a preschooler went to bed an hour and a half early for putting said gash there.  It would sound like it was a rough day, and we want it all to be over - but that is not the case.  I miss Christmas already.

Tomorrow the Joel's get to have fun while I have to go to work, I am bummed about this but it will be nice to get some stuff done in the office.  With this, and with lots of company coming over for New Years next week, I thought it might be time to get as organized as possible so after our company left today we motored through and did.

We had a wonderful Christmas.  I made an epic vegetable lasagna, and meat lasagna (for those who like meat for their veggies) for Christmas Eve.  We played cards, A Christmas Story was on in the background, it was lovely.  In my family you get a tradition of opening one present on Christmas Eve and this year I wanted it to be there fantastic PJs - months ago I got them a set of Mickey PJs with their names on it, that match one of my own that says Mommy (mine was a size 2X which was happily way, way too big) - and a family friend also made a set with Mickey on it as well, so it was a Mickey PJ Christmas for sure.  When I told Joel Andrew he would be opening a bag for Christmas Eve, he looked in and said immediately: "those are PJs, where is my present?"

The day before Christmas Eve was also exciting for us - we went to Pease Greet the troops coming home from Afganistan.  You cheer them on as they come of the plane.  Sadly, customs was not there on time and so we all waited (least of the worry was me with my two boys, imagine the poor troops) an hour and 15 minutes until they finally let them off.  Because of this the ceremony where they hoist the flag and everyone sings the National Anthem was cut - but it was still nice.  That night we had the neighbors over for some drinks as well, all very holiday-festive.  A nice chance to show off all of our decorations!

Fast forward us back to Christmas, and it was a lovely day.  As with most children, Joel Andrew slept a little later this day ironically.  We all waited to see the reaction as they came down the stairs, and it was nice.  James Morris got a huge soccer ball for Christmas, which fits him nicely.  He loved all of his gifts - but we really all nailed him this year because he received many, many balls in different forms and carried and threw them all around the house all morning and day long.  The soccer ball was a real hit, but now where do we put it?  The biggest hit with him were the work boots Uncle Jeremy got him, he wore them all morning long.

Joel Andrew got about three pirate ships, which were awesome - and all day he had them set up in the TV room and was playing battleship almost.  He refused to open any more presents and just played with his pirate ships, which was fine with us as we had some adult present opening time.  In fact, Joel Andrew still has a present or two to open.

It was a long day filled with a fantastic dinner and lots of fun conversation and new things to play with. Joel Andrew pretty much losgt it after four days in a row of being social, being with tons of friends and family, going to bed late, no naps, etc - and that is why I think he hit his brother.  He seems to be hyper sensitive to anyone paying more attention to James lately.  Luckily, (or unluckily?) - James does not fight back yet.

So, there it is, Christmas 2012.  The year I was going to get my boys the best present ever - Disney Vacation Club, but did not.  The year we had three trees, two train sets, and Mommy spent over $500 on outdoor decorations.  The year I decorated like a combination of Martha Stewart and Clark Griswold is gone.  Good times were had, now some weight needs to seriously be lost so I can fit into my clothes again!  Merry Christmas all!

No comments:

Post a Comment