Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Sunday River Vacation
We just came back from four fun filled days at Sunday River. Actually, a lot of the time was spent lazing around the condo which lead to cranky and antsy children and parents - but we did have fun. It is just hard when your fun is so weather dependent. Saturday was lovely, but we were waiting for our company/the rest of the weekend fun so we didn't jump on the skiing. By the time Sunday rolled around, high winds shut down most of the mountain by 10am, and the whole mountain by 2. Monday was not better at all, so Tuesday was our only day to ski, and by then, James had developed a monster cough... but we managed, and we had fun.
The Kings joined us, and also had their own trials. Making a fun weekend at Sunday River is a lot more work than it used to be! They didn't show up until Saturday, because Declan was sick into Friday (I know what you are thinking and it is a totally different sick than what James has now)..We had an awesome lunch at the Matterhorn, where we were "those" parents and we just let our kids go crazy in the video game area. You know, touching all of the buttons and the steering wheel on all of those video games (no wonder James is now sick) and having a great time, while the parents drinks beers (all except for the preggo Lauren!). We were basically inline, I would say - and the Matterhorn is built for such craziness, so it was a lovely afternoon.
Later that evening Brian and Declan and Joel Andrew and I ventured out to try some tubing. How could we miss out, it is right next to the condo and Joel Andrew and I already went earlier in the year. It was so tame that I had no idea how they ever got anyone to pay $15 to do it. Well, I figured out how when we went back. As I was taking the magic carpet ride up with Joel Andrew I looked and saw - the additional snow the season brought allowed them to extend the tubing lanes another 30 feet, of all drop... And, they had contoured the path so there were lots of dips along the ride. Brian gave me a look like: "Are you kidding me?" and they made it one run... Joel Andrew had the time of his life and made me go with him three more times before I realized that he or I could seriously injur ourselves, and we went inside...
They next day was ski lesson day for the boys, it was 10 degrees, and really windy. Needless to say, Joel Andrew - who was slated to go up the lift for the first time in ski lessons, did not make it. And, poor Declan... I kept trying to convince Aunt Lauren that it was like a bandaid, like daycare drop off, just put him in the class and walk away... But it was 10 degrees out and the kid was sick less than 48 hours ago. He tried his hardest, and Joel Andrew tried to help him along too. Too cute. In the end Declan said he enjoyed the day, but we will need to try again, on a beautiful sunny, less windy day, when he is fully up to par.
The boys got back and watched movies together, and we quickly realized that it was time for the Kings to go home. Sadly, I moped around all evening long as I missed my buddies and it was fun having the Kings up. Then I racked my brain about why we felt like there really wasn't much to do - and then realized that it was the weather, and the age. 1-1/2 - 3 is a fun age, but not for going out to eat, skiing, tubing, ice skating, movie watching, board game playing. Really, what is fun at this age? Regardless, we still had fun, but the fun we had was a lot of work!
After the Kings left, we stayed the course. We went to the pool at the condo with both boys and this is a true test in Mommy's OCD. It is gross. And there are snots on the boys, and dirty floors and no flip flops, and public pool, and etc. etc. - you get the point. I am not a fan, but the boys and Joel Husband loves it, so we go.
Afterwards, Mommy got to go get a massage, or beat up as I now call it. I got a deep tissue massage which I thought would be a good plan as it has been a while, but it was a beating. I did not stop her, because I knew I needed it, but my back is a sore reck mess today.
Fast forward to our vacation day, the last day of my ski trip, the first day I got to go skiing. This was the best weather day of the week by far - 40s and sunny, no wind - and plus it is a mid-week day, so Joel Husband and I had planned to put James in daycare (he would be there if it wasn't a vacay day is the working-mom-rationale), and Joel Andrew in Ski School, and Joel Husband and I would ski together all day like the good old days and have a nice lunch at a ski-to place, and make it back in time to get the boys and get home. Sadly, this did not happen (predictable), and instead James kept me up 1/2 the night and Joel Husband up the other half with his nothing-else-but-a-cough-cough, and Joel Husband quickly determined that daycare on the mountain would call us the second he started hacking. So, we got one pass and took turns. It was still pretty cool - I got to do more runs in less than 2 hours this morning that I did so far all winter long. It was a beautiful day and wonderful not to have lines.
Home now, James has seen the Dr., he is fine and resting well. It is sad to think only two more weekends up at Sunday River this year for me and the kids. We love it there. I hope Joel Husband and I can retire there!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment