Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mommy Reads a Book

Maybe its the winter.  Maybe its that Mommy has been cranky.  Maybe it is because Daddy is in Canada.  But times have been tough at the Williams house.  And by tough, I mean we are all whining like brats here.  Clearly including me.


So each night I want bedtime to click earlier and earlier. And it sort of does.  I even posted on Facebook recently that if I were ever to write a book about my life and experiences, it would probably be called: "Waiting for Bedtime."  This post received my most likes in a while, and it was all parents.  Except for one or two people…

Anywho, last night waiting for my friend Gina to show up, I couldn't take the whining and the crying any more and decided 30 minutes early it was bedtime.  I brought the guys up, and was ready to just throw them in bed and shut the door and then they asked to read a book.  I surprised myself and said I would read two.

We are not that crazy educational family here.  I hardly do read books to them, and when we did read a book every night to Joel it was the same one - either Puppy Love or Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  But a few nights ago they asked so nicely to read a book and a few nights ago they sat quiet, patient and with both their heads on their hands in awe and excitement for the book reading.  So, why not do it again?

It is so cute to see them sit, side by side, enthralled.  I wonder how long this will keep up. But I am psyched that I found something fun to do.  I think we will do one book from now on, just to ensure bedtime does not continue to take longer and longer.  Short and simple, quiet time together.  I guess this is what all the other parents have discovered, when here I was all along thinking I was a genius for just throwing them into bed and running downstairs to catch the last second of Extra and pour my second glass of wine…  New routine?  We will see how long the novelty, and the paying attention lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment