Yep. This vacation was a pukefest. All who attended (except Daddy, so far) were sick. Mommy did a bazillion loads of laundry, Sunday River has $80 of our quarters, as well as a mattress that could not be saved. I will stop being so graphic (well, only slightly). But just note that 24 hour bug my ass. My kids continue to have lingering sickness. What would be better - constant sickness for 24 hours and then done, or sick then nothing for 24 hours, making you think you were all set, you sanitize and move on and then it happens again? I am thinking the first.
Anyway, our week at Sunday River, which was to be filled with skiing and tubing, and dinner out, and games and fun and movies and fun - was more like, clean and nap and movie. Which was ok too. But not ideal.
Highlights included waking up on Saturday night to a sick kid, and then walking to the bar across the way to get quarters (because the quarter machine was out) and trying to convince someone to give me a quarter so I could finish the wash at 1am… Or, being woken up from a nap on Monday afternoon to a bunch of men bringing firewood into the condo (at our request, as although everyone can be sick, you can still have a fire going), and then asking them after they lugged wood on their 90th trip - can you please take this vomit-sodden mattress to a dump for me? That was pretty good.
It wasn't all bad...As I mentioned above, this was a slow sick...There was 90% okness, and only 10% not...So, for the other 90% we skied, we ate, we partied. We had Cristel and Doug for the start of the weekend and ate like kings. We played cards, we watched Lady and the Tramp. James even stayed with the Lindstroms for an hour or two while me and the Joel's went skiing. James introduced the Lindstroms to Princess Sofia which purely horrified them and was awesome. Good kid prep for them.
Joel, Joel and I made it out skiing together a few afternoons while James stayed in ski-care. We went everywhere and it was a pleasure to see little Joel ski through trees. Probably shouldn't have left James in ski-care though, although not visibly sick, the kid was a bit of a cranker, and his ski notes of the week included: "James sat down on the slope and screamed 'No' until we took him in because he didn't want to do pizza pie." Sick or 2 and a half and James? we are not sure.
We (and you now that does not mean me) only went to the pool once. We rested a lot. We watched, as a family, Swiss Family Robinson, which was awesome. It was my first time seeing it and the boys loved it. I highly recommend. I made chicken soup, which all boys ate in moderation, and Angus cuddled with all of us.
This morning, we were to leave. Joel Andrew was to go to ski school, James maybe to the pool and then we were to be off. At approx. 10:30am, into the 58th load of laundry for the weekend I changed my mind. I decided I would clean everything, lysol everything, and we would stay. I checked my work email, got stuff done, and made it so I could be there at 10am tomorrow. We were feeling better as a family, and we were going to salvage this vacation, dammit.
We went out to lunch. It was a two chardonnayer for Mommy, and I am talking jug of wine chardonnay, filled to the brim of my large wine glass, thank you cheesy Maine restaurant. Vacation finally arrive. We napped like champions. Mommy watched The Bachelor, on her iPad, in a clean bed (I know, disturbing, but a lot is going on in this family and a prefer watching more than mindless TV, but TV that reminds me that there are other complete crazies out there).
Later in the evening, when I was sober, James and I went tubing - which he wanted to do - all while watching the zip lines which are directly above the tubing park and asked if he could do that too. When we actually went tubing, at the end James would claim- not with tears, not with sadness, but just with complete seriousness, "let's not do that again." Ok. So, I would take his hand and we would walk away, I wait 5 minutes, and he would look at me and then say, "I want to go tubing." So, we go tubing, and Repeat. Wait 10 minutes and he wants to go again. At our last attempt, the poor lady who had to push our tube each time decided the last trip was going to be one to remember and really chucked us down the chute. The shear weight of the two of us on the tube brought us to the top of the snow pile where the fencing is and we both agreed: "Let's not do that again."
Daddy and Joelly went night skiing. Mommy made dinner, we watched the fireworks. It was a nice end to a pukey vacation. I have two little loves that are not yet professional skiers, that do not totally listen, that complain, and do not aim when they are sick. This was a tough "vacation" but I have to believe that in a few years it will truly be a vacation, and one we will enjoy forever. So, this is just training for the days that we will be on the mountain, and I will be complaining that they left me for moguls or tree skiing while I went back to the house and drank chardonnay by myself… I hope that time comes, but for now I will try to remember to enjoy what I have. And hope that tonight I do not wake up to: "(cough, cough, cry)… MOMMY!!!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment