Monday, March 3, 2014

Boston Children's Museum (back to adventures)


It has been a while since we have had one of our great days out.  This is mostly because I have become fat and lazy.  I will totally admit it, and it is completely true.  My number one thought at any given moment is usually involving what can I eat or drink in massive quantities right now.  With a second, how do I sit on the couch and watch a TV show or take a nap? Way down the line are - let's interact with my children.  Let's cook something healthy.  Or, best yet, let's be active.

Sloth breeds sloth.  And now my clothes do not fit.  Like even the fat clothes don't fit and I am tipping the scale towards where I was when I CAME HOME from the hospital with James.  So, I have to do something drastic.  And, I am guessing it isn't just a "diet" but it is a "lifestyle change" - uh, I hate that.  But, it is kinda true.  So, I am starting today by having an old-fashioned day with the boys, and adventure in Boston.


I eased into it and watched Oscar coverage this morning while the boys ate breakfast.  Joel Andrew noticed all the chatter about the clothing and especially the clothing that the men were wearing.  Jared Leto had a red bow tie that was a topic of discussion, so the next thing you know my boys were wearing bow ties and ties.


We hadn't been to the Children's Museum in ages, and I thought - ooh I get 50% off with my membership to the ASTC/ACM - so let's go.  Unfortunately, my ASTC/ACM membership expired at the end of February.  Oh well.  I packed a lunch and we were off.


The boys loved every minute of it and played very well together.  The water table - which I usually avoid because it is a "messy" thing, was the biggest hit.  They also loved the "Black Heritage" rooms.  Walking through them I brought up to my kids the whole idea of skin color and they seemed floored.  It occurred to me that they really have not seen or thought about this before, probably because 98% of the people they are in contact with are white.  The next thing you know a group of school kids come in, who are all black and my children then begin to stare.  I shuffled them out so as not to start a scene.  We went to the music room.


There is a large climbing apparatus in the middle of the Museum which they both went in.  I was unaware that there is only one way in and one way out and assumed you could get out from the top.  So, when the boys were quickly separated, James towards the bottom and Joel at the top (which was two floors above me and I assumed he could get out there) I had a momentary freak out, but all ended well.


The best part of these days is the nap time, which hopefully James is experiencing right now for a while.  We are totally trying to take away the diapers, so he was in underwear all day and is in them now for his nap…  Wish me luck!









No comments:

Post a Comment