Sunday, June 8, 2014

Fabulous Feet


Today I was a super proud and excited Mommy, my little guy displayed his Fabulous Feet for all.  This was the name of the song he danced too - and he danced his heart out.  He remembered his steps, had a slight yawn in the middle of it (clearly it was all too easy for him), and then had his trademark smile in the middle of a sea of pink girls.  I kinda feel bad for all the parents of the girls.  They have to go through all that work with hair and makeup, the buns alone are a nightmare - they have glitter and sequins, all these things - and for what?  My little guy took center stage and stole the show!  (I am just being sarcastic here, which I hope any of my new dance mom friends reading this would come to realize)…


Joel was proud, excited and happy.  He has been looking forward to this day for a long time and he was super excited to have Ama, Grumpy, Pa, Nana and Auntie Jennie and Uncle Jeremy there.  I dropped him off a bit earlier, and I was a bit of a mess and nervous - but not my guy, he was calm and actually was about to ask me to leave when the dance teachers up and kicked us helicopter parents out.

I sat through the show - which was a nice show.  Our dance company was nice and realizes that not everyone wants to sit through 8,000 performances, so they have "company" performances - the high school kids theatrical and really impressive stuff, interspersed with the kiddie performances.  And, they break it up all weekend long, so we were at the Sunday Matinee.  There were tons of other classes we didn't see, that performed on Saturday or Sunday night too.  It was nice to see the other kids, and really nice to see the big kids - of which there were three grown guys dancing up there, all looking excellent.  Of the kids in our groups today there were two other boys in addition to Joel.


I did remark though that this is certainly a girl's world.  The boy's bathrooms were locked backstage, and every time a Mom talked to me she asked me which show my daughter was in - or where my daughter was.  Pretty funny.  The dance teachers all knew Joel and loved him (how could you not?) - but I wonder if they are hoping to keep him for the long haul?!  I hope so, I would love a tap dancing coordinated handsome guy, but it is up to him.

His moment on stage came and he did great.  Jowl Husband and I sat together and we decided not to video or take pictures and just watch and love the moment.  I cried like a baby.  I am so glad I was able to have this memory of him - and he was able to have this moment.  He loved being on stage, he loved taking the pictures and being the center of it all.  He had great fun and I hear that he said to Ama something like he will do about 5 more recitals.  I hope so!


Either way, I am so super proud of my little guy and his Fabulous Feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment