Monday, June 2, 2014

Dinner with Ama and Grumpy

This week Joel Husband is in Canada…Again.  So, I called my recently - moved- here parents and asked them if they wanted to visit.  I have a lot going on with work, 400+ school children visiting this week, so it would be nice to have the extra help.

I got home, my parents and I chatted.  They picked up the kids, I bought dinner.  They played with the kids, I cooked dinner.  We ate a great dinner - lobster, which the boys loved - and it was awesome.  I even set the table really nice and cooked a few different things and Hedy spent the entire time with the boys, it was unreal!

After dinner, I cleaned, and the grandparents continued to have fun.  For most families you are probably scratching your head right now at how this could be odd, but for mine it is odd.  Usually my mom is cooking and my dad is cleaning and I still have the kids (or, let's be honest, they are watching the kids while I do nothing and they do it all).  But not tonight - they were all in for only playtime, and all were loving it.

Bedtime comes and Grumpy reads the Crayon Book (one of our favs, must get the title for the blog, thanks Aunt Kim) - as I folded laundry while my Mom sat quietly watching as my Dad read the book to the kids I was so glad.  For years my Mom folded the laundry while the babies needed tending too by me, and now she got to relax and enjoy.  My Dad did a pretty good job acting out each part of the crayons and the boys ate it up.  It was awesome to hear my Dad read the book, and the boys giggle with laughter - from two rooms away.  After it was all said and done, kisses and hugs were given out, and I was still needed for the final good night, then we all said goodnight.

Pretty lucky to have a night with all of these guys, delicious dinner, beautiful sunset, and happy boys.  At one point I noted to my Mom that I worry that we hit the high point with them, and it will be a struggle of a different kind moving forward.  First kind of struggle, baby, not easy.  This, super fun.  Future - growing kids and sports and whines and growing too big too fast.  At least I will enjoy this for now. Hoping for a great continued summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment