Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Food and Wine with Kids

This year we went to Epcot Food and Wine Festival with two kids.  They were 3 and 5.  This is my favorite thing, walk around Epcot, eat food and drink a ton. The 3 and the 5 year olds, still in strollers, did not seem to mind this.  At times they LOVED the food samples.  Joel Andrew admitted he liked mushrooms and James very nicely had a bite of whatever Mommy was eating.  Unfortunately, there was also a lot of drunk people.  Not like Mom's drunk, which in my opinion is respectable.  But, here are some stories:

- The girl who was ahead of me at the "La Cava de Tequila" in Mexico - by the way, the only place to get a great margarita other than the San Angel restaurant - and you want a San Angel Margarita there if you are there too…. Anyway, she gets up to the bar, and drunkenly slurs: "We want tequila shots."  The man behind the bar, who is from Mexico and has clearly retired to this job here in Disney - replies: "what kind of tequila shots."  The lady replies: "I trust you."  We (the bartender and I) roll our eyes at each other and he proceeds to pour this idiot $18 shots. I barely think she knew what she was drinking. Not that I was any more sober, but at least I knew what I was enjoying.

- At one point I needed to reorganize and had two boys and no means of restraining them from each other or from running into the thoroughfare of the "street."  So, I played my "Mommy Says" game where I shout things at them like: "Put your hands on your head"  and so on. I did this while I reorganized my purse and one man with four kids in tow came running up to me to tell me that was the best thing he had ever seen.  Really.

I am sure there are more.  There are no morals to this story other than we spent a lot of time walking around Epcot and drinking and eating this trip.  They boys had a blast.  But we still missed some of the rides, and it was crowded (I think normally the countries are a ghost town).  We had some good adult time, tried new things and certainly ate and drank a ton, but maybe we will not do that again with kids, at least on purpose.

Some bonus points of being here with this kids at this time:  The Paris French breakfast that happens only during food and wine on Saturdays.  Yum!  The kids loved the food and so did we.  We only wish Remy was there with us.  Getting in the park early for amazing photos was also a bonus, loved that chance!

We are so bummed we missed the beer pavilion.  I think it is was just so far away that we kept forgetting to go there.

There is still a ton to eat and drink and do in Epcot without the food and wine, so we will be back and back and back. I think it is by far my most favorite place to be - and maybe we should enjoy it without the crowds while we still have the littles who do not necessarily appreciate the finer points of Scottish vs. Irish vs. English cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment