Tuesday, July 21, 2009

He is Here!


Well, the baby must have sensed my frustration in my first post - because he arrived yesterday!  Joel Andrew was born on 7/20 at 7:27pm, 7 pounds, 13 ounces and 21 inches long.  He arrived surrounded by a room full of women, more details to follow.

It started all too common.  On Sunday I decided to finally gather my things for my overnight hospital bag.  Joel (husband - we haven't figured out the nickname for the baby yet so when I say Joel I am always referring to husband) and I choose our movies that we would have on in the background during labor (a few of which consisted of My Blue Heaven, Blades of Glory, The Incredibles).  I decided to make a turkey meatloaf which ended in disappointment.  I also tried to finish my college scrapbooks in an effort to finally close the door on a project that had been lingering for over 10 years.  I went to bed not having completed the album, and having left a mess of photos all over the place.

Of course, I wake up at 1:20 am and on my way to my first mid-night potty run I notice I have already gone potty, sans the potty.  What is this I ask?  Well, I knew but was too overwhelmed to really accept it.  I called the hospital, they confirmed I needed to come in as my water broke.  I woke Joel up and he literally jumped to the ceiling.  I went downstairs and proceeded to collect, organize and stash all of my scrapbooking remains.  Can't have a mess while at the hospital!  I emailed people, got some more cleaning done, then we were off.

Admitted by 2:30, and immediately put on penicillin, we were off.  Although contractions were progressing and not that bad, I could not sleep a wink. Joel on the other hand was out!  By morning things had gotten more intense, but I stayed away from the pain meds.  By afternoon I was trying everything, the yoga ball (aka the birthing ball), walking, dancing, the tub, watching movies - but could go no longer.  At 2:00pm I could be heard bribing the nurses to make the epidural come quicker.  At 3:00pm and around 7cm it was in and life was much better.  Just over and hour and a half later they 1/2 my epidural dose and got me ready to push. 
 

That was tough!  I got a fever and the baby's heart rate started to rise.  So, over the course of the next 2-1/2 hours the sense of urgency in getting the baby out rose.  After 2-
1/2 hours they brought in a Dr. (I have been working with excellent mid-wives).  As the Dr. was about to go into a c-section for twins, she became all business.  In about 2 minutes of very
 painful but very appreciated work she got the baby out!  Little Joel was born! 

He had the cord wrapped around his neck, so he needed to be tended to immediately.  He did not cry for the first two minutes which made me very upset. But the nurses worked to make him comfortable and suction him out and all was fine.  I forgot to mention that for some reason there were about 10 nurses, a midwife and a Dr. all in the room - all women.  He was surrounded by ladies on his birthday!

While he was getting cleaned up on one side of the room and I was getting cleaned up on the other it was just too weird.  I mean, for 9 months you know to expect a child but you do not really realize what has happened until you see him there in front of you.  Joel looked over his baby in amazement, a smile I will never forget.  When I finally got to hold the baby I just said "we are going to have so much fun."



No comments:

Post a Comment