Before I begin, I should also note that he continues to do actual wonderful things constantly, he is not a terror, and he is a very happy boy. Everyone has their moments, and my son is no exception - so I thought I would share some of these moments with you.
Tantrums
Does your child freak out each time you leave the room? Mine does. I have seen other children do this and always thought, "Isn't that so nice, she really loves her Mommy." Nope, it really isn't that nice. The entire time in Montana, I could not leave the room for a minute without him freaking out. The moms were pretty tough, and would try to wade it out, but after fifteen minutes they inevitably searched me out and handed me my crying-whiny-baby boy... Come to find out, he does similar things in Maine when left with Nana and Pa and sometimes even Dad! I guess I should be flattered. The flip side, when I come into a room I get the biggest running-smile-hugs ever, which is pretty much the best thing on earth.
Another reason for tantrums, taking something away. Like a cord. The kid loves to find, and chew on cords. I should qualify this as saying they are not plugged in, we have managed to child proof all of those. But for some reason husband has randomly stashed cords all over the house - to recharge phones, or computers - and though I could not find them if I wanted one, the child finds it immediately since his new favorite past time is opening and closing drawers. Can I really put the magnetic locking device on all drawers in my house? (also, I am not a terrible parent, I almost always find the cord as he is pulling it out...).
Dog Bowls
But, the latest in a line of freak-outs includes his constant desire to stick his hands in the dog bowl. For weeks we have been trying to get him to like water play. He seems not to be a fan. Even the bathtub is tentative happiness. We have an awesome baby pool set, we have freaking Sebago Lake, and the kid only wants to play with the dog bowl. What do people do with kids and pets? It isn't like we can lock the bowls away, right?
"Arydit" or something like that
He was doing so well for a while, saying Angus (An-GUS!) and Otter (Odd-err). But, those words have since fallen off and now everything is "Arydit." I am not sure if that means "What's that?" "Water" or anything he wants to say at any given time. I wish he would start saying things! I am trying to get him to say "All Done" after he eats, I wonder if it is that since it is the only thing I am really working on now.
I feel like we are on the edge- of more words, of learning things like where's your nose, of doing the hubba hubba dance. Friends in Montana taught their 16 month old to do this awesome dance when they say "hubba hubba." Naturally, we are jealous and want to teach him tricks right away!
I thought I would close with some recent highlights:
- He dances now. But, as Pa says, it is dancing like a white guy.
- Most of the time, the drawers he opens, he closes.
- He cleans up if you ask him to!
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is still his favorite show. Though in Montana we tried to introduce him to Blue's Clues. Not a fan. He also is not yet into Thomas the Train. But I hear that comes inevitably.
No comments:
Post a Comment