Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day at School (Day Care)

So, it is official, I am a Independent Museum Professional. Joel (Big) and I have been chatting for some time now about how it might be a good idea for me to look into this. I have experience in various aspects of Museum work, from collections to fundraising to volunteer management - as well as a Master's degree from Harvard, so why not put it all to work? Plus, the kiddo might get some outside interaction, something I think he has been craving. Win, win, right?
So far, not so much. We went and visited the daycare last week and he seemed to enjoy it, new toys to play with, new people to stare at, etc. Today, his first day, without me, was not the best. But, lets begin at the beginning shall we...

A few weeks ago (like 2) I got a message from one of my old places of job, they were interested in having someone help them out for a little bit. A person recently left, and they were in a bit of a pickle. I love this place, and all the people still there, so I thought right away I would help. Mind you, I have been "chatting" with Joel about the possibility of taking something on here or there, but never really had this actually computed or come to fruition in my mind.

So, it is a good thing my mind works quickly, because within a day or two I was already interviewing various daycare centers in my town. I went to the Harvard of daycare (Phillips Exeter's daycare) and boy were they pretty. But they did not offer the days of the week I wanted, and they only had space for him in the infant room (my child is well past infant stage). I went to another place, which shall remain nameless, and immediately left. Dirty, smelled like animals and poop. The last place I went to (which was actually the first one I visited), I loved. A neighbor recommended it - her two kids go there and love it. I believe the quote she gave me was "do not be turned off by the blue-collar feel." I wasn't. The rooms were clean, colorful and bright. The kids - and the teachers (!) - all seemed very happy.
So, looking around in this new daytime home for my son, three days a week, tues, wed, thurs, it finally hit me. I was going back to work (albeit part time) and my son was going to be watched by someone else. I literally cried in the daycare. They were supportive of me though. Probably the clincher, and I signed him up.
So, a week later and here is the guy, ready to go for his first day of "school." By now I have convinced myself that not only is this going to be ok, it is going to be great. Actually better than what we were doing. He and I were getting a little bored staring at each other all day long. I was not very good about coming up with things to keep him entertained. He was getting into everything dangerous. And it is summer, imagine the winter! Not to mention, my constant worry that he is missing out on the socialization, or from experienced caregivers who know how to help with things like- learning how to wash hands, say words, play fair, etc. I'd like to think I do a great job taking care of him, but he needs to hear from others too! Constant structured playtime in a safe environment is going to be perfect for him. And, time away for me to be with adults will be the energizing thing I need to be able to focus on him when we have our time together. Plus, it is part time. Win, win... If I sound like I am trying to convince you, I'm not. I really was convinced this is the best.
And, I still am. Despite the horror of a day he had. I feel so bad for the little guy, and even worse for all of the other teachers and kids in daycare today. He apparently cried from about 10 minutes after I left at 9:30, until when I picked him up at 1:45. They called me to come and get him, that bad. I guess this happens a ton, and he will just need a few days to get used to it. I hope it works.

In the meantime, I am enjoying getting back to work. It is weird driving around with an empty car seat, this is something I have only done a handful of times, literally - usually on the way to volunteer or for a girls night out. But, it was wonderful to get my dry cleaning today, and be able to use two hands! I think I can really help my former employer, which is what is getting me through the daycare debacle. I really need to thank this place of job, for the perfect situation in easing me back into the 9-5. If this was an entirely new situation, I might have called it quits at 1:46 today...

So, here's hoping for a better day tomorrow. Maybe he will stop crying for just a little bit? I hope he grows to love it, because he should. Really, it is made for him - he can make a mess, run around, have fun - he should love it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, three days a week sounds like the perfect arrangement! I'm sure he will grow to love it. Love the pics of little Joel with his backpack - he looks so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I need to get a backpack for Cameron! Sorry to hear the first day didn't go so well but A is right, it WILL get better. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete