Sunday, August 12, 2012

King Weekend


This weekend was King weekend at the lake.  Good times were had by all!  Even though Uncle Brian brought the rain with him, which he usually does.  Eh, he didn't fair too bad this year.  Actually, despite being kinda cloudy almost the whole time, it only truly downpoured once - and that was after a long weekend of fun and when it was time to be inside packing up and getting lunch ready anyway, so we cannot complain.

Actually, we cannot complain about anything.  My husband even looked at me today and said: "this weekend went really well, all things considered."  What he meant was, four boys 3 and under in one room, cannot be easy.  Add to it a Mommy who is tired, and potential for thunderstorms all weekend long and we all could have had massive meltdowns.  But, not at all.  Only Baby James had a meltdown or two.  He was a little angry all weekend on and off.  I wonder if he thought Declan and Nolan would eat all his food...


James did have a night of pure terror.  Joel Husband just eventually tried to hold him down on the bed to calm him down, just talk to him soothingly, but get him to stop wailing.  Nothing.  So, we put him to bed, 45 minutes earlier than normal.  The kid did not wake up until 8:10 the next morning, same for Sunday morning too.  Actually, come to think of it, Joel Andrew and Declan, who shared a room, also did not wake up until into the 8s.  I wonder if it was the gloomy weather, the damp air, or the fun.  Probably the fun!


Or, maybe it was the going to bed.  Joel Andrew would not nap, so he was a mess by bedtime both nights.  Declan did nap, so by bedtime he was not too exhausted.  Plus, he was in a new space.  During dinner Saturday night, I thought I heard something and went into the hallway to inspect.  I did not look around but just listened, which room could the noise be coming from?  Then, I hear in a low tone: "Mommy" - and look over, and Declan is sitting right there on the stairs, back lit by the night light we have in the hallway.  I almost pooped myself I was so scared.  I said "one minute, I will get her," and ran back into the dining area and told my good friend: "your son just creeped the heck out of me."  He totally did.  I went to bed that night half expecting him to be sitting there.


Highlights of the weekend included taking all the boys out to the float dock, though probably totally unsafe it was a ball.  Going for a PJ walk in the morning and watching the boys race eachother back and forth, right into the wonderful naps they hopefully all had on the ride home (mine did!).  Just catching up with friends and wine in a relaxing manner over late dinners both nights after the kids went to bed.  And, sleeping in rather late as the kids did not wake up until 8ish both days!

Lowlights: Baby James tantrum; Mommy driving Pa's boat into a "danger zone" because she wanted to snoop at the houses on shore and her husband who should have been driving the boat wanted to relax.  Special note to Pa, I really did not drive it into too bad a spot, and while panicking I watched another boat zip around the danger bouy, so we were all set.  Watching Baby James eat ice cream.  The kid is so damn stubborn that he INSISTS he use the spoon.  He gets it everywhere, and this does not bode well for OCD Mommy.  Both of us were very cranky at the end of the ice cream trip.  Biggest lowlight, having to come home.

Encounters with nature: Mommy caught 2 frogs, and one was huge!  Daddy only caught one.  Birds have also nested and hatched 4 chicks, and the nest fell out of wherever it was and is now right next to our path.  While everyone was napping, Mommy sat and watched the baby chicks for what seemed like hours.  The Mommy would come and feed them, then leave.  They all survived the fall and all seemed to be doing well.

I have learned Uncle Brian is freaked out by snakes.  Did I hear he has a birthday coming up?

No comments:

Post a Comment