Monday, August 20, 2012
Mommy's Family Work Day
Oh boy. Whoa. This is a biggie. Mommy took both boys, by herself, to work today. It helped that I had almost 2-1/2 years experience of being a stay at home Mom and I was super-prepared with wipes, toys, portable high chairs and such, but this damn near killed me. Combine it with work stresses that did not end even though this was supposed to be our day at the beach, and I need a nap, and a bottle of chardonnay. Both. At the same time.
The boys were great. They were even better than could be expected. The fun lasted till quarter to two, so without naps from both of them, and late lunches for both of them, things that they did not like to eat - they really were pretty good! The beach was super fun and I think my co-workers were thinking the entire time: "this is what she goes home to? My lord..." My 8-1/2 month pregnant co-worker was sort of horrified, but she is just having one boy. My other co-workers with older children looked on thinking they were cute. I think that is so funny, people without kids think you are a mess. People with older kids think you are "sweet" and "cute." I only had one co-worker there who was at the same stage with two kids as me, and she and I were too busy to converse, but I bet you we commiserate.
The boys loved the beach and were pretty quickly having a good time. Devouring the sand and the toys I brought, and stepping in the water, laughing and playing. They charmed all the ladies, which is good, because I work with many of them. Some work people did not bring their kids, and I think it was a good plan. Though I am sad about this. I wanted the day with my kids, I wanted to bring them to the beach and hang out with them, I wanted my co-workers to see them. But it was a lot. I think if I did not have other work fires burning at rapid pace, I might have done better.
All was good until Joel Andrew, James and I went for a walk and Joel Andrew went over waist-high in the ocean, having a blast until immediately he screamed in terror. This prompted me to collect James, who also screamed in terror. We had to walk the full length of the beach, with two screaming boys in tow, everyone must have thought I was awesome. But the truth was, Joel Andrew has always had his "itches" - skin rashes since birth. Dumb me did not realize what the salt water would do to them - poor kid was screaming in agony, until I rinsed him with water and took his swim shirt off. Then we were ok. We then continued our beach walk, but away from the water and close to the rocks. The two worked together to build a castle. It was nice.
I dressed them, in you guessed it, matching clothes and hats for the picnic. I have to say, caterer who usually does a great job for super cheap, you disappointed me this year! But hey, they had fun. James ate his corn and Joel Andrew had two hot dogs. We all enjoyed the ice cream truck. Mommy lugged both boys by herself from beach to car and back again twice - went through two outfit changes and hopefully managed not to insult or anger her coworkers, many of which I had not seen since I was pregnant with number 1. James barely slept the ride home, and Joel Andrew did not. Mommy had a meltdown on the way home, but more from work stresses. I had put a lot into this day, a lot of hope for a great time with my boys. I missed a ton of days at the beach this summer, and it was sad to miss it by being checked out today. When I got home my husband said: you work now, they should have gone to school and you should have gone to "work" which is what it was today, don't be fooled. I guess he was right. Though, I did have a few laughs with my boys. And, at least hopefully my co-workers did not see me flash when I was carrying both boys and Joel Andrew yanked my swimsuit down...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment