Not funny at all. When you hear the news and you see that some man has over the course of ten years quietly shoved a few bodies in suitcases here or there - you (or me, a Mom) immediately thinks of the parents. Who were they to allow this to happen? As my children get older, I wonder if it really could happen to anyone...
So, Joel Husband and I were hanging out with Joel Andrew, and the next night I would be off on ladies' movie night, so I decided I should put Joel Andrew to bed tonight. I went in to do it, but Joel Andrew immediately protested saying he only wanted Daddy to put him to bed. This made me sad, and I made the sad face and that did not even work on Joel Andrew, so Joel Husband convinced Joel Andrew that the right thing to do would be to let Mommy help Daddy put Joelly to bed.
So, we did. Joel Husband got the best idea too - on the way to Joel's room we picked him up - one had the hands the other the feet, and we carried him and swung him into bed. This was possibly one of my most favorite memories of childhood, I was thrilled to pass it onto Joel. Here we were, the big family, having a moment, enjoying our time. So, Joel Husband and I say, "A one...., A two...., A THREEEEEEE.!!" And we gently tap him into bed. Yay, I thought, he will love this, a new tradition.
The kid immediately turns and wails uncontrollably into his mattress. It took us a minute to understand, but he wanted to put himself to bed. He wanted to get into bed himself. We both tried to have straight faces as we looked at this kid, FREAKING out for nothing, and finally told him, "ok, go ahead, start over."
He immediately got up, stopped crying, passed us with a straight all important, I am so right I can't believe you messed this up for me face... went back into the bathroom, turned the faucet on and off and then came back into his room and hopped into bed all by himself. Then happily exclaimed: "I'm ready for bed." As if his method was better. Yeah, right.
Joel Husband looked at me and mimed the word "serial killer." Probably not. But really, this much rapid emotional change? No more swinging into bed for Joel Andrew. Good thing I have my money on the fact that James will LOVE it.
No comments:
Post a Comment