Sunday, January 27, 2013
Child De-Proofing
Yep. You read that right. I still have a 21 month old (which is almost the age Joel Andrew was when James was born, that is scary). But I am de-Child Proofing. The really big safety concern (the gate at the top of the stairs) has been gone for a few months now already. We had to take it down to put our new furniture in the bedroom, and we just never got around to putting it back up. It has been nice and less of a hazard to have to maneuver around. Though there are a few moments when I scream James wildy and run to the top of the stairs. As Joel Husband likes to point out, James is very good at the stairs. We made both our kids good at the stairs on purpose. Joel Andrew because I was so pregnant and could not carry him so he had to go on how own, but James because we are lazy. So, now they know to go up and down but I am sure the hazard of playing or accidents is still there.
The rest of it is basically smarter, and more low-profile child proofing.
There is now a Mommy-in-addition-to-child proof lock on the basement door (which we also need for the attic door, Joel Husband, can you get that?). So, they do not tumble down those stairs, or get down there and into anything like the liquor shelves and stuff. This is instead of the gate that formerly blocked them to go to the basement door or the do-not-touch rooms. This gate, over time was a bit warped and would not shut properly, which not only rendered it useless, but annoying as anytime anyone would go through it it would slam and make an annoying vibrating noise. Christmas Day I almost gouged my own eyes out listening to it as people went back and forth. It served as a visual barrier though, and the kids hardly went into the do not touch area. Now that it is gone, they still have stayed their distance and I hope it keeps up.
I of course left the child proof locks on the cabinets, no poisons under the sinks for us. Against Joel Husbands ardent refusal, we need to child proof our medicine drawer upstairs. Their medicines are in a semi-childproof container under their bathroom sink, maybe I need to make that worse. But other than that, the house is back to normal. The whole downstairs, except for the high-chair (which will be gone in 3 months!) - is back to being a normal adults house. You would hardly know kids lived here. The playroom is of course piled high with toys and occasionally a mess, but we have it all in order.
To celebrate, we had the Kings over last night for dinner, and the first go-round with 4 under 4 was successful. James only found one thing - the phone - that he should not touch, and all others were good. The phone was where it always was too - so, a moot point.
So, back to an adult house. We had a drink (not preggo Lauren) by the gas fireplace, which was on, while the boys played in the next room. Then we all ate dinner in the kitchen and no high chairs were involved at that point. It was nice.
Next step, to bring back the wine cabinet which has been in holding in the basement. Joel Husband is not sure we are ready, but I am. I just won't hang the glassware in it yet... I would have also brought our plants back, but they got too big in the three years they have been in hiding in the do not touch areas, so no space for them in our family room anymore!
As Auntie Lauren said last night: "final proof you are not having any more children." Damn Straight.
PS- first photo posting in a while, as the blog site wouldn't let me do it a few weeks ago saying I needed to pay them $. Second note - I promise to have a more about my children, less about me post soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment