Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Brookfield Zoo


Just when you thought you could not get better than the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago, then comes the Brookfield Zoo.  What a fun time!  Keep in mind we went in the dead of winter, when there were snow piles on the ground.  What seemed like miles and miles of parking lots were covered in unplowed snow, as clearly no one braves the Zoo in the dead of winter, no one except for the Halls.


Joel Andrew was so close to the Lions it really scared us, and James was enjoying every little animal. Grumpy, Ama and myself were with James and were constantly telling Joel Andrew to slow down - but in the end, Joel Andrew was right - there were way too many animals to see in one visit, and we did not see them all.  They were everywhere!


They had a Children's Zoo which is a must see.  I am a museum person, and I am perplexed by this new thing I keep seeing of Add-on costs.  This Zoo, a zoo-within-a-zoo had add-on costs that were nominal, but still in my opinion ridiculous.  I paid (well, Ama and Grumpy paid) for us to come to the Zoo, and now more costs?  But, it was worth it.  Joel Andrew made an awesome lion mask, James was fascinated with the toys and the whole experience reminded me how fun it was to take the two places and how I can't wait to begin again with my new job change shortly.  Ama was a bit exhausted by trying to follow the two in a public place... who knows what I have gotten myself into!


We also went to see the dolphin show (also alacarte) which was very nice, succinct, with education but with also a lot of splashes.  I get annoyed at the shows that want to be all education.  It is a huge bummer I understand, for the animals, but lets not kid ourselves here, there is one reason and one reason only everyone is there - and you have to give it to them!


Enjoy the photos of the day!  And get excited for more posts!  It is kind of exciting, terrifying, awesome and crazy that pretty soon I will be the head of a Museum myself.  Kinda my dream, heading one of these places and hoping others will enjoy them and write about them, tell their friends, learn from it, and bring their kids.  Exciting!



No comments:

Post a Comment