Sunday, June 23, 2013
New York with James
I must admit, I am a little more infatuated with James now that we spent a whole wonderful weekend just the two of us in NY. When I was a little girl I dreamed of one day walking through Central Park, holding hands with a boy - having him take me out to a nice dinner, and seeing the site of NY. Well, my dreams came true this weekend - and everyone on Facebook knows it!
I do think I drove everyone a little nuts with constantly checking into every NY site we saw, complete with a photo update of my guy. Though it looked like he ate his way through the city, he didn't really. It just so happened that stopping meant snacking and photo taking. Most of the day on Saturday Mommy was on the move. If Mommy lived in NY, she would not have the weight problem she currently has. I think yesterday I walked 8 miles.
But it all starts with Friday, showing up in the city and having a great time in the car ride down. He napped for a few hours, then watched a movie for a few hours and then the last hour pointed out the cars, trucks, and bridge and tunnel. Not a peep came out of this guy except for the 3rd minute in the tunnel - which like the car wash - was the minute he has had enough. Unfortunately, it was the mid-town tunnel and it took more than 3 minutes to go through. But, as soon as we were out, no problem.
We got to our hotel and he was the star. I held him during check in and he rubbed my back and told me he loved me. Like, seriously? My little man, I love this guy so much. After 5 hours in the car, he does this? I can't believe it. We checked in, and then immediately went to Grand Central where Mommy got her room wine, and we got some prepared foods to go. You will never believe it, but I paid $4.80 for three SMALL plums. But, walking through the market James saw a plum which is his new obsession, and how am I to deprive this sweet little guy of healthy fruit? So, I get it for him and when she said it cost more than James' dinner, I freaked. Ahh, NY. We also of course got a Lindzer Torte and black and white cookie. It is NY. We had to.
Walking around the streets of NY the first 10 minutes was epic. James was awe struck by all that was going on around him. Every noise, he repeated his normal "What's that noise?" phrase, which I happily answered. Back in the hotel room we ate dinner and then I put James to bed. He wanted to stay up and chat, but lucky for me that it only took two stern: "Go NIGHT NIGHT"s before the kid actually did. He was snoring within 30 seconds of my second scold.
The next morning I was terrified he would wake up at the crack, but he did not. Finally, when I got up at 7:30, he was actually still snoozing. When I came out from brushing my teeth He said in a groggy voice: "mommy?" and I said: "Jamesy?" and we repeated this 10 times and cuddled for 10 more minutes. I love this guy.
We were off! We walked to Times Square, bought James' first NYC bagel on the way - which for a carb-hating man, he loved. He really did eat 1/2 of the bagel, munched on it our whole walk and subway ride (I know, ick) - I was thinking that maybe he doesn't hate carbs afterall, and maybe he just only saves it up for the really good carbs. NY on a Saturday morning, early, is the best. This was the best start of the day ever. James and I had the street to ourself, and I was drinking my coffee and he was mesmerized by all there was to look at.
The subway was tough. I don't know how NY Moms do it, but I was prepared. I had my bag in one arm, kid in another, stroller folded and whipped through the turnstyle like a pro. Actually, I ad 6 people - SIX - ask me for directions the whole day! You can take the girl out of NY but you can't take the NY out of the girl it seems. I looked like a pro, I guess!
James on the subway was a lot like James in the car wash or James in the Midtown Tunnel. It was fun for exactly three minutes. Then it was not fun. But I kept him calm and we were there in a jiffy no problem. Actually, it was quite amazing how wonderfully it worked out, almost no waiting for the train whatsoever. Once on the platform, I was getting my camera out to take a photo of the big boy with the train in the background and he started walking towards the subway ditch. After complete horror and panic hit me (we are not in Kansas anymore, people - this is not NH....) I swept him and my things up and off we went to visit Leander.
Leander and his parents (my camp friend and bridesmaid Emily and her awesome husband Michio) live in a ridiculously nice apartment on the lower west side. Emily's words, not mine: "Our neighborhood is way cooler than us" - which is to mean only that their neighborhood is about as cool as you can get. The Whitney is going up a block from their house, the highline starts around the corner from their house and there are trendy strollers everywhere. Em and Michio are super cool for sure, and Leander is super stylin too! We got a tour of their pad and then all went off to explore the Highline, which I was really looking forward to.
And, it did not disappoint. There were some great food stands (we had brisket and awesome homemade popsicles), garden everywhere you looked and lots of cool art installations. We hung out in one area of the highline for a good 45 minutes, climbed on and off the benches and the boys got their exercise. Then we went over to where a man was playing the Cello, really, really, well and James was in love. He was entranced with the Cello and called it a Guitar? - He stood and watched the man and clapped when it was done, and of course tipped him too. It was really fun to watch, I think he might be a musician yet!
Aunt Lauren joined us for a few minutes which was so nice for her to meet James! I didn't realize it at the time, but it was the original after college NY trio for a few minutes too which was lovely. I really miss living here. I did say on the phone to my mom that I do miss living in NY and wish I could, but then once I need to do the first load of laundry I would remember why I don't...
After we said goodbye to Leander and his awesome parents - James and I walked the remainder of the highline to the end. He fell asleep in about 2 minutes, and I enjoyed the people watching and art watching. I was struck by all the buildings that go right up to the highline, and only a few years ago were overlooking weeds and mess and now get this awesome thing right out their door. I wonder how much their rent and costs skyrocketed!
James and I then began our epic walk around manhattan. At one point it got hot. Then it got crowded. Then Mommy got cranky. People do not realize to let the woman with the carriage have the space that is the non-step part of the sidewalk. This is critical in order to continue with your comfortable city walking stride. Mark one of a tourist is to stop at every street corner. Mark two is to not observe the road blocks ahead of you, and make room for them. NYers saw me and my mostrosity of a carriage and stepped aside like it was no big deal. Tourists, not so much. I got really, really cranky at one point and totally ran over a woman's toes. Whoops. Though she was the one to blame!
Also to note and watch out for, the creepy people dressed up like fake disney characters. They are everywhere and I did my best to shield James from them. Creepy.
It was at this point that we got ourselves some fresh fruit and juices and found a nice place to sit in Central Park. James also watched the violinist, who then insisted he try out the violin, which was awesome - the smile on his face was huge when he was playing. James loved the saxophonist and asked to try that but I said no. Although I was successful in shielding James from most of the creepy characters, at one point in the park he pointed out a big, creepy big bird that had a little, creepy elmo hanging off of him. For the next ten minutes all I heard was: "Elmo big Bird - where Elmo Big Bird?" - all as I ran as far away from Elmo Big Bird as possible... After much confusion and getting lost, we finally found the zoo - which should have been easy to find but Central Park is not about signs. I guess it ruins the nature feel?
The Zoo was a blast - and would have been even more exceptional had it not been crowded with 8,000 people. Maybe I am spoiled or did not fully realize the impact of me going out in NYC, the first Saturday of the summer, after school has let out, and not to mention the most beautiful Saturday ever - maybe it was the police lining Central Park and telling me there had been many instances of theft particularly for people with baby carriages and things stowed below them - but I was on high alert. The crowds were three people deep for each cage for the animals, and like a fool I let James out so he could squeeze to the window and see the animal. The little guy would then go to walk to the next display, but I would be stuck a crowd or two away with the bulky stroller. Some heart attacks were had for sure. And, more feet were trampled with my stroller. I haven't had the same issue anywhere else. It was just nuts there. We still had fun though. We were on a hunt for the Polar Bear, when I nearly gave up because of complete frustration with the crowd and utter exhaustion - did I mention it was sunny, and I did not have water with me? When, we finally saw him and James just sat down in front of the window and kept telling me about the bear. So worth it.
The penguins are by far the most fun here, James was pressed up against the glass loving the tank until a penguin the size of him swam right by him. It freaked the poor kid out. I finally convinced him to go back to the glass, and when the penguin came by again same result. I laughed at this and then James replied: "Penguin says Waddle Waddle" which I laughed more too - and then he began to scream, in the middle of the exhibit with hundreds of people everywhere, "Waddle Waddle" about 20 people looked at us, or him, and he forgot how scary the penguin was a second before.
The Children's Zoo of the Central Park Zoo was much less crowded but by the time we got to the petting area I realized I was not going to be fighting with the other kids and parents to get James to feed the sheep when James feeds sheep like every other week living in New England. We seem to do this all the time. So, it was time to go.
We got James a well-deserved Hot dog - street meat - from a really nice vendor across the park, and Mommy walked up Park Avenue, window shopping as James dosed. By the time we made it back to the hotel we were both too exhausted, sweaty and sunkissed to even think about going out to eat. I attempted to find a foodie place close by for take out or delivery, but gave up and room service was had. It was - phenomenal. We each had burgers and fries and sat on the bed and watched Madagascar in an effort to relive our visit to the Central Park Zoo. James was snoring by 7:30, I watched Anthony Bourdain's Layover episode in NY and the next morning we walked to the best bagel place Anthony recommended - 10 blocks from the hotel.
By this point James was no longer phased with the loud noises and other people and was completely loving life in his carriage. We sadly checked out of the hotel, and got in Mommy's car. I was so surprised how I got us to Aunt Pat's (Auntie Grandmas) in Queens without needing direction help. We had a very nice visit - for a 93 year old woman (if you ask her she would say she is basically 94 since she is in her 94th year and is closer to 94 at this point anyway), who had a stroke in April, she looks great. James showed her some photos of our visit on the iPad, and she was amazed by the iPad in general - and then was amazed when I had him watch The Lorax so we could visit.
We walked to lunch, and I think the 15 minutes in the stroller sent James over the edge. It was all over, NY had hit him like a ton of bricks and he was ready for a nap. Little did he know that Aunt Pat is all about the long leisurely lunch. She saw my struggle to keep him happy - he was generally a good guy but he was clearly exhausted, so we packed it up rather quickly and got in the car for home.
The ride home was not fun. He maybe fighting a fever, but I think it was all the excitement of the past few days and the limited amount of solid napping. This kid is used to 3 hours a day, and he barely got 1 hour in each day so I think he is just fried. He was such a mess on the ride home though that when we hit New Haven I thought about taking him to the hospital. Finally the kid fell asleep and when he woke up close to the border of Mass, he was a new man talking about the trucks and cars once more.
I loved my weekend with my little guy. Except for the last incident, which was truly not his fault, he was the perfect travel buddy. He loved NY and I can't wait to take him back again. Though, I think Joelly gets to go next. Saturday was truly one of my top ten all time favs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment