Monday, January 13, 2014
Joel Andrew, Dance Class
Joel Andrew has been in a dance class for a few weeks now. This dance class is so serious, that the parents do not go inside. We can't even take a look mid-class. The teacher prefers to have all of the kids in the room while the parents sit outside - with the doors closed- and listen to the music and the banging and the laughing and we all wonder, just what is going on in there?
Then, one week out of the year it is peek week and you get to go in and watch them dance. This is epic. I sensed this, even though it was my first time. All of the other Moms there were talking about Peek Week from the first I arrived. I knew to expect great things. Peek Week was to be the last class before holiday break. Then a snowstorm happened and class was cancelled. Joel Andrew and I were crushed. We were assured Peek Week would be rescheduled, that it would not be the first class back, and that we would get to see our kids dance. First week back I came ready to schedule Peek Week, and first week back when I walked in the door it was apparent it was Peek Week. I started to get angry, I do not have my camera! How am I supposed to document this amazing event? When I saw all the other Moms. They were Bull. Like so mad, it was hysterical. I just watched and laughed, cause I was mad too - but then I remembered I had two cameras in my purse, one an iPad and one an iPhone. So, we went forward with Peek Week.
Next I was unprepared for all of the emotions. I assumed I would get in there and see my child do amazing things and just burst with pride and then with concern about how I would go home and explain to Joel Husband that we were going to need to bring Joel Andrew to Broadway auditions. The music started, the dancing began and it quickly became apparent that Joel Andrew would not be doing any Broadway auditioning anytime soon. Most of the girls in his class followed along beautifully as the teacher shouted general instruction as: Tap, first position, tap, first position. My son beamed, he smiled, he loved every minute, he checked himself in the mirror a few thousand times. He itched his legs, and stuck his hands in his pockets and itched something else… He occasionally hit exactly what the teacher asked him to do - but I am thinking that was more coincidence. He beamed though throughout the whole thing. And so did I. I could not stop smiling at my son having the best time of his life, king of the ladies, with two left feet.
At one point there was an exercise where everyone was in a line, and they needed to skip in time to the music across the dance floor while holding hands. Joel Andrew was the end of the line. By the time they got to the opposite end of the dance room, Joel would be in the middle (his skipping took him a bit left…) - the girls would be smooshed in a pile and the teacher corrected him and they did it again and again until he was all set. There he was, beaming and smiling all the way and it was all I could do not to yell "keep straight!" I didn't, he learned, and all got high fives (I am guessing this is why Moms are normally not allowed). Parents sitting next to me leaned in and said: "That boy is adorable!" When I told them he was mine they seemed surprised. I think it was all an act. It was obvious who his Mom was, we both had the same goofy look on our faces the entire time and I was switching off between iPad and iPhone to capture every move he made.
Tap dance portion of the class time, and I was worried. He put his shoes right on and got a spot out in front. Here we go I thought, Can't wait! Ever the one to keep us guessing, he did a GREAT job! I keep saying, how could every boy out there not want to put on noisy shoes and stop around to loud music? Joel Andrew loved it and was doing awesome. I think for this he is a natural. Perhaps not ballet, but tap is his thing.
I am so proud of my little guy. Keep loving what you do buddy, you are the best. Can't wait until the recital, first weekend of June - mark your calendars people!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



This is the cutest think I ever read ever!!!!! God bless you and your beautiful family!! I hope you are doing great!! -Annette
ReplyDelete