Friday, July 18, 2014

McAuliffe-Shephard Center


Our first Wednesday of summer (post-Festival, that is) was rainy and thunderstormy and horrible.  Well, at least in the morning.  Quite a bummer for us - as I really want to get to the beach with the boys - but we ventured out on one of my "must get to before Joel Andrew goes to kindergarten" things. - The Science/Space Center in Concord, the McAuliffe-Shephard Center.


It was neat, but I think the rain really impacted all of us as we were a bit tired and difficult to motivate.  We saw a Planetarium movie, we ate astronaut ice cream and we posed with a shuttle.  That's about it.  Because of the storms, their interactive things like the space shuttle and the heat sensors were not working properly.  Many of the other exhibits were for older kids and adults.  The place seemed a big empty to me.  Even the gift shop - which I was looking forward to visiting and buying all sorts of space related t-shirts and books, hardly had a thing in it.  I wonder if this place is a bit of a victim of the Museum expansion - they went big when there was money, and now what do they do with all the space?   I maybe too critical, seeing as it is me…  But I guess coming from space camp and all the other center's I went to I was expecting more.  The boys still had a good time though in the Planetarium movie- which reinforced all Joel Andrew learned about planets in Daycare this past June.


We ate Mexican food before jumping on the highway home.  It occurs to me just how much neither of my boys can sit still when we bring them to a restaurant.  They are always bouncing all over the seats.  I guess that is just par for the course.  Once home, we watched How to Train Your Dragon together, which was welcome rest time.  They started getting rowdy -  but I was way too into the movie and tried to quiet them down!  Bubble time outside, and then before you knew it Daddy was home from work.  A good first day of summer with them but I am looking forward to even a few more! We have 4 more weeks of this - and then a week at Ama and Grumpy's and then…  Kindergarten for Joel Andrew. I can't handle it!





No comments:

Post a Comment