Monday, July 20, 2015

Joel Andrew is 6


My big boys is 6 years old.  6 years ago today I was in a delivery room with 30 nurses, a midwife, a Dr and my husband, and he was born.  I was looking at pictures of him from the early days and it is hard to even think that baby is the same as my guy now.  Probably because I was a mess the first 6 months of his life, but also because he is this polite, smart, caring and wonderful little boy and no longer a helpless little infant.  Sometimes I feel I am more helpless than he is.  Sometimes I feel he has a leg up on me and knows better than me.  He is 6.


You can't catch him at all, he is so smart.  We ask him what he liked better - and he knows to say "I like things both the same."  We left Michael's tonight, and he had 4 cranky women who were waiting in line eating out of the palm of his hands with his unprovoked: "Thank you, have a nice day!" which he said to the cashier before taking the bag and carrying it for me.  They all audibly swooned.  He knew it.  He is smart.


He is sensitive too.  He doesn't act this wonderful to be manipulative.  Well, not in the short game sense - maybe in the long game sense though. One day he will cash in all of these credits.  Sometimes he cashes in small credits - Mommy, since I was so helpful, can I have an ice cream?  I don't mind this at all.  Do good, good things happen.  He is smart. What he hasn't figured out yet though is that I do know when he is trying to get his brother in trouble.  Which he does try to do often.

Despite the trying to get James in trouble, he has a fierce love for his brother and loves to help him too. I catch them in conversation and I love it.  I hope they remain friends for life.  They each offer so many different qualities and together they either could be like peas and carrots or like oil and water depending on what the mood is…  Hoping for more peas and carrots situations this year and all future years.  If they are readying this, and I am gone - boys, make it happen.  You can be just as great friends as you can be at each other's throats, remember that, I've seen it.


Joel has a sense of adventure and wonder and excitement that is awesome.  He is always up to try a new place to visit, a new museum, a new sport or activity.  And, he tries and always succeeds.  Sometimes his father has to extra make him do it, but Joel puts his mind to something and he will do a good job at it.  This year some examples are karate, skating, swimming to the dock - and now being an amazing bike rider. Trying new food however, is currently not his thing.  There is still the gagging going on.

 He is certainly not modest, and can be very proud.  But how can you not be proud of yourself when you are so awesome?  I'm his mom, I'm allowed to think that way.  He and I can spend hours and hours together, and it is always great.  We have good conversations, he is respectful and polite - and we hang.  Whether it is Mommy Joelly date night at Applecrest and we talk about the difference between camp and school; or it is building and playing a new game and just have a fun time going back and forth - taking turns who wins.  My favorite memory with him this year was the both of us playing checkers in the library in town.  For about an hour we sat there having fun.


The more memorable moments this year were of course seeing him on the gondola in Italy. What a wonderful trip! I think in the coming year we need to do a little more to have him understand how lucky he, and we all are.  He says he knows, but I'm not sure he really does.

I told him that when he gets bigger and bigger he always needs to take Mommy out to dinner.  He agreed and promised.  So, if you are reading this Joel Andrew and I am still around - you better be calling me to make a date!

I love you and can't wait to see how much more handsome, smart and caring you get to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment