Someone asked a question about Beaches in my last post - and since I am also supposed to be informative about what to do with kiddos, I thought I would repost my response here in a searchable post, so the following is some information about the beaches along NH's coast, from South to North:
(I forgot to mention Seabrook beach - this actually looked pretty nice when I ran by it..!)
You can't go wrong with Hampton Beach in terms of large flat expanses, and staying to the north side of the beach you can have good tide pooling there too. Again, walk to food, bathrooms - but there is a definite "Hampton Beach Crowd" where you might feel uncomfortable if you are not all tattooed. Bring extra money and time for the arcades, there is also a pretty sweet playground for the littles, and some ok restaurants too though I would stick with the fried dough.
We went to North Beach in Hampton - right across from Cinnamon Rainbows. This is good for weekday, and low tide only though, it has bathrooms, limited parking (metered), walking to lunch options, and only a short beach during high tide - expansive beach at low tide. At high tide the beach is completely swept away pretty much - so when you go to camp there, you will notice most people are crushed up against the rocks, this is normal and you should follow this rule. There are a bunch of rocks at the end of the beach, leading the cement wall before the road. Kids love to explore this area. If it is low tide, to the utmost north of this beach there is a small tide pooling area as well. There are lifeguards here. But, again, parking can be limited on weekends… The utmost north of the beach (where the parking lot, not just street parking is) there is also bathrooms and water fountains, a beach volleyball court, and cross the street to smoothies, wraps and ice cream.
North Hampton State Beach does not have lifeguards, but this is a locals favorite. It is across from the Beach Plum which is pretty delicious and a must do if you are hitting the coast for the day - lobster rolls are amazing and people love the ice cream too. I am a fan of the fried clams.
Jenness beach has walking to food - no restrooms that I can think of, but parking is ok here, just expensive. You would need to likely get a spot in some enterprising person's yard. The public lot fills up quickly, but lots of people around have spots that they will make happen for a price - so on a really busy beach day I head here rather than fight for spots elsewhere. This beach is much more expansive than North or North Hampton.
Wallis Sands Park - I have never been, but I hear this is a nice area - at a curve in the coast. You pay by car here, and it is near a place where you can pick up lobsters on your way home. They have bathrooms, not sure about lifeguards. I think this one is expensive compared by the pay by hour place, but cheap if you are going for the whole day. The boys and I have to check this out.
Odiorne Point State Park - this is at the Seacoast Science Center. This is a rocky, tide pooling beach. You pay by car, but there is an awesome playground, tide pooling will keep the littles busy for hours and the SSC is awesome! There are also some hidden beaches going north from here, on your right after the entrance to the State Park - a parking area will be the next place on your right as you are heading north past Odiorne. And, Portsmouth is a hop skip away.
Have fun! It is my goal to run the entire coast this summer, I have so far done 10 miles… I have a 5.8 mile stretch in the middle to go and may just forego the ends! You can always, always just get on Ocean BLVD going south (or north) and stop at the one that looks good to you/has parking.
DONT FORGET - most of these beaches have stairs - so strollers/carts are tough. Some places you can walk. These beaches have some of the most aggressive sea gulls I have ever seen, so guard your food with your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment