Well, it's no secret. I am a bit of a control freak. And, when it comes to Disney and planning for Disney, so is my husband. So, if you add other people into the mix - who knows what can happen? What happened with us - all great things! We had a wonderful trip with friends this past November, and we have friend/family trips scheduled for the next trips as well. We have come a long way since the family stressed trip of 2010... And, I think a few things I have learned about traveling to Disney with large parties/friends and families are:
- Meet ahead of time to lay out the basics. What do you want to do, what does everyone else want to do? What is the thing you do not want to do? Where should we eat, and where should we stay? Do you have park hopper passes (very important when planning some days)? What kid of a meal plan do you have? Do you want pool time? What time do you wake up? These can help everyone map out the perfect group meeting times.
- Get some unforgettable group photos: Get together in groups of 8+ and try your hardest to get in your own "boat" or car on one of the rides that takes pictures. We have an awesome shot of everyone on Splash Mountain, LOVED IT!
- You do not need to do everything together. Give people their space, their own time to do what they want to do, they do not want to follow your schedule 100% and vice versa the same here. This means if you are going with a big extended family, suggest one big family meal a day and everyone do whatever they want other than that. It is hard to walk through crowds with four people let alone 18. And, even harder when Aunt Mary does not understand about the importance of making a Fast Pass reservation you have for Seven Dwarfs when she really wants to go on tea cups. Don't stress about it. We'll see you in an hour, for a Mickey ice cream, Aunt Mary. Not a big deal! (at one point this was a very big deal for me, just sharing what I learned here!).
- Pick some great places to eat as a group! More romantic restaurant settings, or those without a conducive theme should be reserved for smaller gatherings. For example, Paris in France, Sci-Fi Diner in Hollywood Studios, Brown Derby, etc. They are good for small groups, and could be ok for big groups but if you have cousins or friends involved who really want to hang and not necessarily sit still, then there is a list for your large group. They include places with music, characters, dancing. And, buffets or family style that will allow for everyone to go at their own pace and speed. Our favorites this trip included Germany's Biergarten in Epcot and Tusker House in Animal Kingdom. Kids were occupied, and it seems with the long tables these places were meant for big groups. I heard Japan was also awesome (though I missed that one); I could also imagine Winnie the Pooh in the MK being great; Ohana at the Polynesian; we liked Primetime 50's though it was slow... Maybe Mama Melrose might be better for Hollywood Studios.
- Someone's late for fast passes? That might not be good. But someone late for dining reservations? It is actually OKAY! I freaked out this trip when we were 15 minutes late for one of our check-ins. We are crazy about our dining reservations and from past experience I thought if you are late, you lose, AND you are billed. First person in the party there just tells the check-in desk, and then it is easy. No problem. I was shocked! "We will accommodate you when you are all here, no worries." That made life so much more awesome and easier for the remainder of the trip.
- If the older crowd doesn't want to go on a ride, don't push em. I was surprised at how crazy the rides were for me - I guess I am getting to be an older crowd! Those rides are pretty crazy. There is so much more in Disney then bench sitting for them to do while waiting too. Parade? Shop? Country Bear Jamboree? Everyone can still have fun while waiting for others on a ride. And with cell phones, you just meet up when you meet up.
We had a great time with our friends, and made some amazing memories that the kids will have forever. Look at this picture below of Laurel and Joel with Goofy and their siblings, it is sure to be on their Save the Date. Looking forward to more trips in the future years to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment