May 15, 2016
2:04:27.3
Placed first in the Athena category. Placed 393 overall (out of 827). (would have been 64/115 of Women in my age group, but deferred this rank to Athena, good plan, right?-- more on this later)
The run went well though I had a hard time finding my stride and keeping my head in the game in the beginning. By mile 6 I found it though, and was golden the remainder of the way. My guide, Dave2 showed up with a poster "Go Drew" and ran with me by a crowd of about 50 people who he had all screaming and yelling, this was about mile 9 and carried me to mile 11. If you can make mile 11 you can make anything. The last mile was windy and wind-y and hilly, but then it ended super quick. I sprinted, danced and smiled over the finish line making the excellent DJ point me out to the crowd (see below in regards to excellent DJ).
Plusses of the Race:
- Parking: The parking was quick and easy, as long as you got there early enough. Like, ridiculously easy. In fact, you could walk three feet from your car to the start line. I, of course, showed up at the crack of dawn to ensure parking and to get my bib number. Of course, I was way too early. Was all set by 6:30, and then needed to wait for 90 minutes to run. I noticed other people showing up at 7:15, still getting parking in the lot, and still getting their bibs and having no problem whatsoever.
- Race Size: This was like the perfect race size. There were around 800 racers (by the results it seems as though 1,000+ were registered, and a lot of people did not show). This race is notorious for selling out quickly. And, it is nice. There were enough people that while you were running you could always see someone else and feel like you were in a race. But not too many people that you ever - except for the starting 100 feet, felt crowded in. It was not a crazy mob scene and waiting an hour for your wave to start, waves were within 5 minutes of eachother and reasonable sizes. It really was a good size race, and well run for that -- it was my second "smaller" race, and I think I like them better? Maybe? Eh, they are just different. But for this one it was a plus.
- Route: It was the beach, which I love, but a new area I do not explore enough. The wind was tough on this day, but it is beautiful and mostly flat with only one big, short and quick hill and a few long gradual inclines that bother you but you do not realize you are running them until you plateau at the top of them and then you are ok.
- Support: This felt like small town support (which I mean in a good way). The water stops were competitions from local charities who benefitted from funds from racers. They were cute - each one had little signs announcing they were coming up (which was nice for those goo eaters out there). Everyone was very supportive, there were also a lot of people out on their lawns though never tons of cheering people like say a big race, in DC. This is actually kind of nice as you don't feel like you need to wave back at the people. And, if a long stretch goes by and all of the sudden you see a 5 year old cheering for you -- you are happy to give her a high five and keep going.
- DJ: Whomever this man was, he was the best. He had all of us smiling the whole morning, while we were all sitting in our cars in the parking lot trying to keep warm. I can still hear his voice: "This is going to be the best run of your life." "This is a beautiful day, let's make it a great one." "You are all healthy and beautiful people." He was like a life coach for crazy runners with some chill music in the background. I'll have what he's having.
- Potties: Perfect amount, never waited more than 3 minutes.
Drawbacks:
- Food?: I feel bad I "complained" about this on my survey from the race. I think by the time I took notice of where the food was after I finished, it was just all gone. I should have realized this too because they even (on the survey) listed all of the foods to ask what we liked the best. Pizza, Bagels, Oranges, Bananas what, what? I saw a few cookies and got a gatorade. Hmmm. Also, every other race I have ever done I have been completely spoiled with something like beer, or a lobster roll, or a cup of stew at the end. So, I did recommend they get a food truck with lobster rolls and a beer truck and even if they had a sign that said: "to keep costs low, there is a small charge for these items." Maybe they can't sell because of the beach? Maybe they do not want to prolong people here? Not sure. Either way, after I left I went to Beach Plum and was happy to pay $30 for a huge lobster roll and cup of stew and ate it with a beer at the house.
- Risky Course: I guess all courses are risky, but the wind really made this one tough. I'm glad I had trained on the beach, in wind, within the past few months - so I was all set, but I think others had a hard time. Otherwise the course is beautiful!
I'll tell you more about the pre-race poetry I created while waiting for 90 minutes for it to begin, and the whole Athena thing, in future posts.
I would totally do this one again, though maybe not for a few years so I could try to mix it up with other races too. It was a great location, very well run, and good community. A for me! (plus with a lobster roll!).
No comments:
Post a Comment