Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Sent Survey to the School Board

When asked on the recent online survey of the 2015-2016 year at my son's small elementary/middle school if I had any suggestions, this was my response...  (they should have known I have a history of stating my thoughts on schools in the written word form). Now that I read this 6 hours later, I feel I was snarky and I didn't mean to be - I thought I was being nice...

As a working parent it is difficult to be engaged on all levels of activities as the very many engaged non-working parents.  I never really considered myself apart of this debate until my child went to LAS.  I miss very many classroom things, can never make PTA meetings because of travel, and (may have self imposed this) but feel that I am looked down upon because I can't help out as much.  I always buy materials for the classroom, and try to help where I can.  But it is tough when we get 2 weeks notice for events and things to make it happen.  And, I work locally.  I can't imagine for others. I hear from my child that so and so's mom is always in the classroom, and I am never there. Are there other things that the school needs, that working parents can provide - other than a batch of brownies here and sign up for the grandparent luncheon which can never happen because I have a board meeting on Fridays that lasts all day, etc.  How else can these parents feel involved and making an impact? 

Adding in a few points about the structure of the survey in general -- In this survey moving forward, I would separate out teachers and administrators when asking questions about support for both parents and students. I think then you might be able to glean better information on how each party is doing.  Perhaps even a question of how both parties (teachers and administrators) are working together, as per the perception of parents, would be helpful. I have had completely different experiences when working with the administration and when working with the teachers. Our teachers have always been responsive. 

I felt that many of the questions - is there enough space for certain activities, etc - are leading into the war with the townspeople over the renovation.  I would have loved those inferences not to be sprinkled throughout the survey but a small place at the bottom, and for the bulk of the questions to be about our children's experience and our thoughts on the known and changeable infrastructure of the school. How can we make the current school experience be better for our children within known and reasonable/potential actions?  We all know we need more space.  But this survey should be about what we can do to improve on where we are now.

***I worry we focus too much time and energy on this renovation which is only creating a deeper divide in our town and we are going to lose what is great about the small town community school.  It would be great to have more space, we really do need to separate gym and eating - yes - but the this is not the end of all needs. Are the administrators handling disruptions within classes well (I have had a hard time watching this from afar with our grade this year)?  Are parents feeling like they are in communication with all needs of the school - and not just who is signing up for donuts or who can volunteer for another event during the work day (see my comments above)? 

Some suggestions that go beyond space to continue to improve our ability to educate our kids -- Can we promote arts more through arts days at school; is there an art show?; do we have visiting artists come in and showcase their work? Can the kids enter their artwork into competitions to be shown at local galleries and museums? PARENT SUGGESTION here - has the art teacher ever been encouraged to reach out to parents and asked them help?  Maybe there is a parent that could give a demonstration on cyanotypes; maybe someone has an art collection to share?  Maybe someone is an artist themselves?

For spanish - can we do spanish language day where at lunch it is mexican food and they have to order in spanish? Can morning announcements be made in spanish and then english? All kids in the school go home the night before and discuss with their families - if you could go to any spanish speaking country in the world, all expenses paid - where would it be and why?  And then classroom/school discussion the next day.  What other outside the box things can we do to ensure every day is a new day to open our kids minds up to all aspects of learning, and not feel we are limited by a classroom space.

And, how can we work with the community better to feel all on the same page rather than divide further? I know many feel this is a lost cause, but I do not. The most special thing about our community is how small it is.  Do we have community members come and speak to the students to tell them what life was like in Hampton Falls years ago?  Do we do things with the local historical society ever?  Is there a frequent assembly where we can bring people in for such an event?  Or, even on the classroom level - have we explored the opportunity of working with parents/neighbors in each classroom - our grade has parents who deal with big sports athletes; run a local farm; a local museum; run half marathons/full marathons; surf; our neighbors know the history of the town; have livestock; are expert gardeners; historians and writers. Can we bring these people in to tell their stories?  This affords an opportunity to open up kids minds to the larger world around them and the possibilities that can exist for their future.  While getting to know their community. While the community gets to know them. This would attract volunteerism in new ways, from new individuals who can't miss a board meeting to help at Grandparent luncheon, but come and talk about how learning the sport of archery changed their life, and hopefully excite someone to have an interest too?  Might be more likely to happen. (in full recognition that grandparent luncheon volunteers are also needed).

I wish to stress I thank all of those on the Board and all of the very many teachers at the school, and the many parents who donate the time- all who do so much for our kids here in LAS. My suggestions are probably lost on the inability to completely understand the difficult and overwhelming situation the Board and the school's administration find themselves in on a daily basis and when making decisions.  So I hope you will not see my suggestions as a criticism but rather a reflection on the hope that our school can continue to make lemonade, and maybe if we use a different angle of trying to reach out through the community, we might be able to continue to build our dream school on a different level sometime sooner - both figuratively and literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment