Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy Boy

Since I have spent a lot of recent posts complaining about temper tantrums, I feel I owe it to my son to give a nice post explaining his recent turn in attitude, and his much happier demeanor.

This is not to say temper tantrums have gone away, of course no... But, they are not happening every five minutes anymore! He is still not saying any words, but he is spouting off sentences of mumble that I swear he thinks are English now. So, instead of frustration and whining he looks at me and says: "meeble mobble bubbie moodle mmoo moo." And points. This has helped with the communication and has made a world of difference for both he and I. Not to mention it is so freakin' adorable. We have gone from I can't handle it one minute more to I love it so much, do it again! The only thing that still weighs on the back of my mind, when will he start talking? His former words: "Whassdat?" "Angus" "Oddur (Otter)" and "AAAhhhhdunnnn" have totally disappeared. Lots of mumble garble has replaced it. I wonder, is he just on the edge? My Mom thinks that he is just going to wake up speaking Shakespeare, any day now...

Besides the temper tantrums going away, and the patience that he and I have both recently acquired, he is getting much better at playing. Before it was tossing things around the room. Picture Toy Story 3 and the 1's room, that is my son. I would build a tower and he would NEED to knock it down right away. Maybe his new Christmas presents have opened his eyes to the world of toys and play, but he will sit and tinker with things now. Learn how doors close and open on his farm, put his mini-Mickey down the firehouse slide, and push the cars on the ground. Frustration when something won't work well is still there, but much less. It is really neat to see these changes.

Joel Husband likes to say he feeds off my personality, if I am cranky he gets cranky and it is a vicious cycle. Maybe he is right. From about September - end of December I had a rough time with this pregnancy. It was also a rough time in general (relative rough here, nothing life-shattering of course, but lots of little things that add up). Tantrum stage set in, I went back to work (did you know that, I am back at work now, have been since Sept - just 3 days a week though), and Joel Husband started going to Canada, three days a week, mid-week, almost every week. Not to mention me being exhausted, throwing up non-stop, and overwhelmed in general about the idea of a #2. I can look back now and say: "Boy that was rough." And, it was only a few weeks ago. But at least I am feeling better now and can look back and know that there are phases to everything, nothing is permanent. Maybe my current better mood, my ability to keep food down (which has also caused me to start rapidly gaining weight), or the fact that I no longer need to lie on the floor while my child runs around me crying - has allowed the both of us to be happier, healthier, and enjoy everything more.

Or, maybe it is the excitement for our impending trip to Disney...

I am not sure, but things are better, for now, for this girl and her little boy.

2 comments:

  1. He's totally right on the cusp! Cameron had a few "words" that disappeared right before she started talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stacey! I was wondering and hoping you guys would let me know that!!! I am getting very nervous. All done has come back, so has uh oh, and now if you ask him what a monkey does he makes the noise and mimics the movement (scratching under the arms) - so maybe we are getting there... He also said a very clear Otter this morning... Next steps, Mickey, Donald and Goofy!

    ReplyDelete