A Baby Story
Yesterday we welcomed James Morris Williams at 11:17pm, 5/10/11, at 10 pounds, 2 ounces and 23 inches. He is adorable if I do say so myself. He is already exhibiting great personality signs. He is a fan of sucking his thumb, has so far taken to breastfeeding to his mother’s surprise, and he actually looks like his Mom and his Grumpy.
We chose the name James Morris as James is my paternal grandfather. He passed away before I was born and of course was very special to my father. I was to be named James if I was a boy, and since I am the last of the Halls I knew we had to carry something down. My Dad’s reaction when we told him was priceless. James is also my Dad’s middle name.
Morris is Joel’s paternal Grandfather’s name, as well as both Joel’s Dad’s middle name and Joel Husband’s middle name. Morris passed away over ten years ago now, and is Joel Husband’s only passed grandparent. We thought the two went nice together.
_
As for the Baby Story. All know I have been whining for months about how I think they have the due date wrong, and I am sure since Deuce seemed to be stubborn that they were going to have to “cut him out of me.” I only have one thing to say – 10 pounds, 2 ounces – I told you so.
I had an appointment with my favorite midwife on Monday. She said I was 2 cms, and that we were all set for an induction on Wednesday morning. She also noted that she is on call all Monday and Wednesday. She delivered Joel Andrew so I was psyched she would be my delivery coach again. She noted that Tuesday was her off day, but another midwife could help me. I knew right then and there, I was going into labor on Tuesday.
Sure enough, 4:30 in the AM I wake up with contractions. I did not share this with anyone until 4 hours later when Joel Andrew was off to school. My Mom, Joel Husband and I went out to lunch at the 50’s diner, and I sat there through my contractions. They were getting tougher, but still eradic at 10 minutes apart. When I called the hospital they wanted me to wait until the magic 4 minutes apart. So, I persisted on. Did the tub in my house, and finally Joel Husband put his foot down at 4:00pm and told me we are going in.
That was a good call, despite erradic contractions – they quickly find out I was 9 cms. They call the epidural man who takes a bit to come in, but stocks me up with a spinal as well as an epidural. Spinals are amazing. Sadly they do not last and we quickly figure out that epidurals do not work on me. It didn’t work for Joel Andrew either.
Push time comes. All is well and everyone is optimistic. I pushed for an hour and fifteen minutes and kept hearing questions like: “Do you know how big this baby is?” Joel Husband had a sad look on his face but I was blissfully unaware. We were coming to the end. Then the midwife looks at me and says: “he may not be moving.”
For the next hour and a half I tried to push, but we knew it was inevitable. He was not moving, I was right, he was going to be cut out of me. I was that poor soul who pushed for a long time before they wheeled her into the operating room. Bummer of all bummers, Dr needed to be called in for 2nd opinion, which took ½ hour. Then epidural man needed to be called back which took another 15 minutes. But then we went rolling fast. The clock was ticking, we were coming to midnight and I could sense Joel Husband was hoping we would get the baby out before then so that he would not have to share his birthday!
I already had a spinal, so there were some elevated risks with getting a second. Sure enough, risks came true and I felt the full effects of the numbness, even in my head. I had such a hard time breathing, it was very scary. I was in and out of it during the actual birth of James, but I heard him. I also herd how scared Joel Husband was for me. The boys were cleared into another room and they began the long process of putting me back together. I gradually felt life come back to my head and arms, and could breathe normally again. I am very claustrophobic so it was all I could do to not freak out. But it was fine. I chit chatted with anyone who would talk to me in the room to keep my mind off things. And that is that. They wheeled me back in my room, and here I am. Overtired and cannot sleep but happy all is over.
James is beautiful and I am looking forward to getting to know him. Sadly Joel Andrew caught a stomach bug yesterday so his introduction to his new buddy will be delayed. Today is the day for me to rest up and heal. Looking forward to it!
Congrats to you all Drew! (ps. Love you blog- it makes me smile)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! Glad both you and James are doing well. His name is wonderful, and I saw a couple of pics on facebook - you've popped out another cutie! Can't wait to read more about him and life as a family of four!
ReplyDeleteLooks like Allison was right in predicting Tuesday! And by the way, your push/surgery present better be really big emeralds :-)
ReplyDelete