It’s 2:00am, I just got almost 4 hours of sleep, my husband is passed out on the couch and my child is passed out with the nurses. I am wide awake. Thinking, of actually how fun the last few days have been.
Kind of strange, but having James Morris has reminded me how much work Joel Andrew is! The past two days with the little guy have been blissful. He eats, sleeps and poops. I sit in bed and stare at him. Joel Husband has been great helping. My in-laws and Mom have been in and out, and Joel Andrew has visited. In his quick visit he said “Baby” joyfully about 40 times. Gave me 18 kisses, called the emergency button once, and ate about 15 crackers. He is a nut. I love him, but am worried about how I will keep him busy when James comes home.
There are a few components that have made this time around 1,000 percent easier. First, we are here for three days at least rather than the 48 hours of natural delivery. The extra day has really had us more relaxed. We swear the nurses forgot about us today when the floor got a little crazy, but that is fine. We had everything we needed at our fingertips. Joel Husband and I sat and stared at each other for a little bit.
Secondly, and the most obvious, we are seasoned pros. This is our second time around. Last time we needed to learn the basics like how to change a diaper, among everything else. We were frantic. This time we feel like we know everything.
And thirdly, you knew it was coming, the breastfeeding is… working! Working well! Kiddo has lost only 10 ounces, which is small for his starting weight. He is a chow hound and does a great job. I know full well that breastfeeding is probably the most difficult part about having a baby, so I am relishing in this ease for now but am cautiously optimistic for the future. I hope we continue on this path because life is so much easier than last time.
But things make this trip rougher too. Having had a c-section, I need to be constantly reminded to take it easy. I want to be up and moving but just can’t. Who knew how hard a c-section really is? Why would people elect this? You can hardly move, laugh, and the need for pain meds is constant. I hate taking pain meds so I have tried to stave them off but Husband notices my wincing right away and practically forces me to take them. I do not imagine picking up Joel Andrew for a while and I am worried how I will run after him. I have made a few laps around the nursery here amazing the nurses and doctors so soon after my surgery, but what happens when I go home?
There are rules too – did you know them? I do not! I heard of one today – no driving for two weeks. Who knew? There is an extra Dr. appointment, and just a different type of recovery altogether. Who knows what else I may learn about tomorrow…
So literally everything has been different. It is ironic. I feel so comfortable that I am ready to go out and visit right away (with Joel Andrew I hid, for a while), but I can’t get out with the C. Good thing Doula Amma is here to take care of Joel Andrew, good thing we still have day care, and good thing Nana and Pa will be taking him for little breaks in Maine because running after a toddler right now is probably not on the “Ok” list!
So glad that everything is going well, esp. the breastfeeding!
ReplyDeleteYou are probably having a rougher time recovering because of the labor/pushing prior to the c section. The breastfeeding success is also due to how big James is! He is seriously the size of a one month old so he should be a pro :-) Can't wait to see you and meet the new baby!
ReplyDelete