Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Paging Dr. House Part Deux

Joel Andrew was very ill when he was only 8 weeks old. There was lots of drama, an ER visit, 3 hours to find a vein for taking blood and a week of a very unlike himself baby. You can read about some of it here.

It seems as though James would like us to revisit this again. Why should things be different with him? So yes, this week so far we have had lots of drama, an ER visit, a few hours of ultrasounding BUT - a very LIKE himself baby. Who knew? James is my lovely one afterall!
Here we are in the ER. I have decided that I need to capture these moments, all of them! I get home from Jennie's bachelorette weekend on Sunday and all seems well. All is well, Nana and Pa did an excellent job and had a lot of fun with both boys. I was excited to be home and had a hard time being away. It was fun for Jennie, and I did have a good time, but I missed my little guy big time. And, it wasn't like I got any rest anyway. Plus, pumping in a hotel is gross.

So, here we were, home, all settling in, and I noticed it. The bump. A big, fluid filled sack at the top of his head, right near where the spot is where the bones eventually fuse together. So, I freaked out. No sleep, no voice, exhausted, freaked out. Called the Dr, they said go to the ER. This made me more angry, as we had done the same thing once for Joel Andrew and 5 hours of waiting later the Dr looked at him for 2 seconds to say, eh, he is fine... So I did not want to do the same. Above all, I was ultra-upset that they kept asking me questions like: "did his brother tap him? what color is his stool? has he been sleeping normally? has he been eating normally? did he ever have a fit of crying?" - And I could not answer any of them. I was not there. I was in a bar with a stripper pole. Nice.
So, Mommy cried and cried in the ER. Cried a ton. Here is my perfect little guy, in the ER, still acting perfect except with a huge bump on his head. It is about 2-1/2 inches long by 1-1/2 inches, and is raised about 1/4 of an inch from his head. It is huge, but you would not notice it until you looked because of his hair. I couldn't even get a good photo of it. But who needs a photo? I will not forget... So, lost my place... I am in the ER, crying and crying and the kiddo is smiling and smiling. Looking at me with his happy eyes because even he cannot see the big bump on his head.

Alas, 5 hours later, the Dr comes in and says "that is not normal, but he seems fine, go home." Comforting. So, home I go. The next day I pretty much demand to see our Dr, who I love. Our Dr also comforts me, but also admits total confusion. He concludes that we need to check it out, just because of the location of it. So close to where the bones will need to fuse. He brings in back-up, and they agree. So, off to ultra-sound.
Today we got back from the ultra-sound, and everything is normal. Just a fluid filled sack that is on top of his head. No one is sure how it got there, everyone is sure it will take a month to go away. Most of all, everything else seems fine. Clearly, I mean look at the little guy! So, Mommy is back to normal, I guess. But I am sticking around for a while. It was good to celebrate for Aunt Jennie's last night out, but I cannot deny it. I am not 25, I have two boys, and I should not be in a bar until 2am... Especially since the next day there will be a high probability that I will need to be a very attentive and alert Mommy! Gone are the days of the bar hopping. Hello back to being in bed by 9pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment