On Christmas morning, it was mahem. Lots of presents all over the place and a concerned Mommy that we would loose tiny pieces in the piles of presents and wrapping paper; or that my little trouble seeked would eat little plastic bits from packaging. But all seemed to go well.
We did learn a few things - do not put out ANY presents for the kids until after they go to bed on Christmas Eve. We had all the presents out- except for the few from Santa - so when I finally put the Santa presents out it was a pathetic addition. Think of how grand it would be to have only a few presents out and you go to bed, and wake up and there are thousands! (there really are thousands with us...).
Another thing I already knew, but had not stressed enough to the remainder of the family - is to please put together the toys BEFORE wrapping them. Having a toddler unwrap a box of a toy was not as wonderful as just unwrapping the toy. We then spent the next twenty minutes talking him off a ledge while Dad tried to rip open the present.
There was also so many, it was hard to have Joel Andrew appreciate them all. He was super excited no matter what he opened, whether it be a book about Trains, a sweatshirt, or a remote-control car. But we then went onto the next present. We rushed through the morning. Maybe next year we can do a present every hour until we run out or something like that... But then it wouldn't help my next thought...
Things we did right - we have a surprising array of presents, and once all was unwrapped, Mommy quickly gathered up a few and put them right back down in the basement before anyone could notice. This way it can be Christmas all winter long, I can bring up a new toy in a few weeks and rotate them in and out. He had way too many things anyway, and some were a little more advanced than others. So, I am thinking this will work out nicely.
They are lucky, lucky boys and we need to find a way to give back to others. It is just crazy to think that our boys had so many toys I have hid 50% of them; and there are other kiddos out there who didn't get any.
But in the meantime we will savor the memories. Probably the most fun part of being a parent for me is when I get to watch my kids do the things that were the most fun for me when I was a kid, and Christmas was right up there. I loved showing Joel Andrew the cookie for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer. Opening a present on Christmas Eve and decorating cookies together was so wonderful. But I love even more that we have created new traditions of watching The Polar Express, and going to see Santa, and having the Elf on the Shelf. Many fun years ahead. If this year was so great watching Joel Andrew open the gifts, and James climb the boxes - what will next year be like?
Glad it was a good Christmas. Cameron also received far too many presents - I actually put 3 aside for her birthday from us because we went so overboard!
ReplyDelete