It was fabulous. Every parent should get 5 days off each year without kids. It is imperative. I cried in the airport on the way out. What happens if the plane crashes? Who will take care of our kids? (By the way, that is real and very scary, but probability wise not so high, but still something to be considered). Why am I spending my precious time in Vegas? Baby James is going to learn to crawl while I am gone. We are just wasting money. I am not going to get to sleep. Well, all of the above was true (except for the safe travel part, we are still here). Baby James crawled. We gambled and I bought some ridiculously expensive, but oh so cute things. And sleep, not so much. But, we had a FANTASTIC time!
I am continually fascinated by the place. The history, the hotels, the people that are there. Who goes to Vegas, really? Mid-week, lots of babies that's who. This is because the malls to go to when you are a Vegas resident, are on the strip. Funny thing to think about. Parking your car in a casino so that you can go to Ann Taylor. So, mid-week that was the crowd I needed to battle when shopping, stay at home Mom's and Dad's taking their kiddos in stroller through a casino mall.
I had the most relaxing time, seriously, ever, in my life, at the Canyon Ranch Spa there. You do not even need to get a service. For $40 you have complete access to their entire spa facility. Which includes steam room, sauna, hot tub, showers, bathrooms, lockers, etc. But also a rainforest shower (strange and too cold); Igloo room (surprisingly not too cold); Scent room (had a fancier name); Salt Grotto (The most comfortable seat thing I have ever sat in); and some other sort of zen room where you lay in a really comfortable couch chair and stare at the ceiling where a reflection of water rippling plays forever. I could have slept in the last room - like still be there right now sleeping. It was so comfortable, quiet, lovely. You could go from room to room and in between stop in one of their waiting rooms which have amazing couches and soothing waterfalls, and nice reading lamps, and read your book and nap. You could spend all day. Next time I go to Vegas, husband has to find something else to do and in waiting for the ridiculously late plane ride home I might just hang out here. At least I can get a shower in!
That is enough about the spa. I am glad I did this first, as it allowed me to get relaxed. It was hard to not worry about what was going on at home. But I quickly stopped worrying, as they were in great hands, and went to Me-ville. A fantastic place where I walk whereever I want, eat whatever and whenever I want and drink however much I want. It was fantastic. (Husband, I should mention, the first two days we were there, was in a conference).
My second day I went to an awesome restaurant in the Cosmopolitan called China Poblano which specializes in only Tacos and Dim Sum. I sat and watched a woman make tortillas for two hours, ate dim sum and drank the strongest margaritas ever. When the waiter recommended two types of margaritas and asked me which one I would like, I said both! Bring whichever first! Delicious.
Time with husband was wonderful too! His tastes are probably the complete opposite of mine, so it was good I got my stuff out of the way. He wants to gamble, does not like adventurous food, and hates the big fancy shopping malls and spas. So, I made sure to get my eat, and fancy mall shopping out of the way. Though, I did drag him to the new mall, Crystals. I would like to take a moment and reflect on just how ridiculous this place is. It kinda makes me want to join the Occupy things. There was not one store in this mall that offered one thing under $1,000. It was only crazy expensive stuff. It had some nice sculpture in it, but that was it. How is this built in 2011? How are the stores not suffering? When I went mid-week there were only 20 people in the whole mall, and most of them like me were gawking. Only one person was talking to a store clerk, and they seemed to have travelled very far to get here. If you get my drift.
Anyway, we went to see Garth Brooks. I hated country music before my husband, and even still am not really the biggest fan. But I LOVED the show. I was shocked how much I loved it. Of course I cried when he sang Sweet Baby James. He told stories about his growing up, about his experiences meeting famous people, and sending his children to college. At the end I wondered if true Garth fans would have been disappointed with the show, as there really was not much Garth music to be had - but again, I did not care. I loved it! That was all that matters!
So, I also found out that thanks to help from my in-laws, I am not too bad at Blackjack. I am proud to say that I certainly made out in that realm. I probably broke-even with Video Poker (once you factor in the free drinks) over the course of the week. But, I failed miserably at slots. I hate slots.
So, it was a great trip. Again, my favorite place in the world to be by myself. I want to go back again! I have done it with the girls, with the in-laws, and now with my husband. Maybe a couples trip? We had just enough time, as waiting for out 11pm plane flight out on Saturday got a little tedious. Being there during Cowboy week was awesome! Mid-week Vegas was a ton of fun though, as on the weekends power-walking to get all over the place was replaced with dodging drunk people, old people, and strollers (still!).
Can't wait to go again!
Oh, and as a side note - Baby James did start crawling while we are away, and now he is everywhere, not to be trusted. The kid goes right for cords and plastic bags, no joke. Joel Andrew is doing wonderfully and although I thought all the grandparent love would drive him into bratville, he is very good! His new thing to say: "Thank you too." In response to Thank you. I'll take it.
No comments:
Post a Comment