Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Foodie Weekend

This weekend we had a couple without kids up at the lake.  It was fabulous.  I had warned my in-laws in advance, that we might want to sneak off for a boat ride here or there or - even a really great treat, get to go out to dinner...  So, if they could be on call to watch the kids occasionally, we would appreciate it.  They totally took the kids (and loved it, I am hope - as they say they loved it). We loved it too.

Don't get me wrong, yada yada, all that responsible good parenting stuff. eh, I am not going to even try to pretend.  It was glorious being able to take a boat ride without worrying if James is too close to the side, or if Joel Andrew will exclaim: "I have to go poop!" at any minute.  We had delicious drinks and sandwiches in the boat, anchored out and took a swim.  We brought Angus too - that dog was even in heaven from the break.  When we got back, we all took naps.  Glorious I tell you.  There was no feeling guilty that I am taking a nap while Joel Husband rather be on the jet ski, there was just a nap.

And the company!  Great old friends, when we get together once every six months, it is awesome.  They are chefs - Doug literally made us Arnold Palmers from scratch.  He introduced us to the handmade cocktail before - but now we are hooked.  I own lemon bitters now, and muddle can also be my middle name.  We have more lemons than you can shake a stick at and let me tell you, they will be gone this coming weekend.

We did have some good moments with the boys, but the truth of the matter was that the boys just didn't want to be with us.  At all.  Each time I tried to steal them away to come over for breakfast, or to go for a boat ride, it was immediately rebutted with a "I want to stay with Nana and Pa."  Norm and Carole showed up and it was really all over.  Norm is James' new best friend.  Nana keeps saying things like she loves to hang out with them, because pretty soon they are going to grow up and want nothing to do with her.  I am not sure of this.  I think of Joel Husband and his grandfather and they got even closer as he grew.  Look at me and Aunt Pat.  I am thinking as they get older they are really going to want nothing to do with Joel Husband and I, and really scream for Nana and Pa more and more.  We shall see.

Good, nice, relaxing weekends are always the hardest to bounce back from when you have a stressful job and a two and a four year old.  But we are trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment