Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Funtown Splashtown and Old Orchard Beach


Joel Husband took yesterday (Monday) off and we stayed at the lake in order to take a day trip to Funtown Splashtown.  This was fun, except Joel Andrew has reached the "super scared of any sort of ride" age.  Is this an age?  Or is this just how he will be from now on?  You may recall from my previous posts in Disney World last year in October, that Joel loved going on the rides.  Despite being smooshed by me on the Runaway Train in the Magic Kingdom, little 3 year old Joel Andrew could be heard screaming: "Faster choo-choo, faster!"  This has seemed to disapated.  Or disappeared.  He pretty much freaked out at any ride that required you to be 38 inches or taller.  This was quite ironic as James screamed that he wanted to go on these rides, but the kids is only 36-1/2 inches.


We (I) dragged him on the log flume.  Mistake.  Joel Husband dragged him on a water slide.  Big mistake.  James went on the same water slide (which was crazy since they end in a 3 foot pool, taller than the kid himself) - and James loved it.  Joel cried, and cried, and whined and whined.  He wanted to go home.  So sad.

The whole day was not like that though, don't get me wrong.  There are a TON of rides that are for 44 inches and SHORTER only.  A helicopter, a boat, a plane, a canoe, a car, a choo-choo - the list goes on and on and also includes hot air ballon made to look like a ferris wheel and mini swings.  I would hazard a guess that this place has the best and most complete selection of mini thrill rides for minis on the planet.  The boys were endlessly entertained with these items and each one offered a new and exciting thing - the helicopter was probably the most favorite.  They both had a great time on these.


Fair food was eaten, Splashtown was fun too - but I feel like this water park will not truly be realized until the kids are at least 6 and 8.  We will keep with our membership to Water Country for now (did I blog about this, if not I need to...), because it is so close and there are some good kiddie pools and a wave pool and all sorts of things - but I have no need to go to a water park with them again especially if there is another theme park nearby that is better suited - at least until they can go off and have fun on their own and I can stay in the sun reading a Us Weekly.

The one thing to worry about - with Funtown - is when Joel Andrew is too tall for the mini-rides.  I hope he gets in again next year so we have one more good year to visit and go!  It was really sad to see the big siblings be denied to go on the little's rides.


On our way home there was a sign for Old Orchard Beach and Joel Husband swung the car around so we could go.  It was a good last minute decision and timely as that morning I had just read from CNN.com the top 20 Piers to visit in the US - I had been to half, but not the closest one to me, Old Orchard Beach (OOB) - well, here I went.

We walked the pier, had a drink and snacks at the end, and played the games.  Joel Andrew got an inflatable guitar to match the guitar Mommy won for James earlier in the day.  Please take note, the games at Funtown are much less expensive and more reasonable than the ones at OOB!

Good times were had regardless.  At one moment, while eating fried shrimp like crazy, and sitting in my lap, James looked up at me and said, out of the blue: "I love you Mommy."  I had to check with Joel Husband to ensure that actually happened.  What a great moment.  Joel Husband verified, it was a great day.


Now, I can't believe the next time we get here they will be so big.  It is all happening too fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment