Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Swan Boats and Making Way for My Ducklings: Boston Public Garden and Common
We finally did it! I have been waiting to do this since the day that Laura Walsh (Boone) got us the Make Way for Ducklings book for Joel Andrew when he was first born, and in it she inscribed that we are lucky to be New Englanders and we will surely get a trip to the Public Garden to ride the Swan Boats. Today was the day, we did it! And, not a moment too soon - do you know the Swan Boats close for the winter starting September 15?! Starting after Labor Day the timing of them goes down to like 3 hours a day. I am glad we got it in, otherwise we would need to wait another year. And, perhaps I am getting a little freaked out about how fast my kiddos are growing already - but I wonder if another year they maybe too big? The too tall thing on the kiddie ride at Funtown clearly has freaked me out.
I parked in the underground garage, what could be easier? There was an elevator to get up and then we walked toward where I thought the swan boats were. I mentioned to Joelly that he needed to keep his eyes peeled for the famous duck statues, and literally within the first minute we found them. James was overjoyed, the happiest kid on the planet. What seemed like thousands of passerbys all noticed this and pointed it out too. Joel had his usual quiet look about him, happy to have the experience but not really overly emotional about anything. Sometimes I worry what is going on in his head. He is plotting something I think.
In true to me form, I immediately freaked out that there would be a huge wait for the swan boats so I suggested we run there to buy tickets. Note to the reader, you do not get timed tickets, you just wait in line, get your tickets then get on. We waited less than 5 minutes and went right on, front seats. I was a little worried about my fidget midget James and how he was going to fall in somehow, but he did good. Joel sat quietly and pointed out to me that he likes this kind of boat ride, not the log flume ride from Funtown (see post below). Maybe he is more like me than I think. The ride was lovely, we saw the duck island, saw turtles, people watched and enjoyed the beautiful day.
After this we walked around and the stroller again is on its last legs. Whomever is on the skateboard in the back always wants to get on and off and the person in the front is laying there like a king shouting for more snacks, more this. The stroller was certainly ideal in it's hayday - wouldn't have traded it for anything else when James was a baby and Joel LOVED the skateboard. But now it is time to just make them walk.
I didn't make them walk today though as we walked, and walked. After this we went through the Common and then to get lunch from the Farmer's Market in City Hall Plaza. Now that summer is winding down there were hardly any places left and those that were were ironically from up by us in NH - ha! I didn't think that one through! So, then I walked the even longer way, passed my old old, old place of job (Harrison Gray Otis House on Beacon Hill) and up Charles Street. We waited for a good 15 minutes for our sandwiches to be ready at a very over priced sandwich shop which was a bummer. But they were good. Word to the wise, if you do this trip - from Boston Common call Figs and order a pizza to go. A five minute walk later, they will hand you your pizza outside and you are done. There is also a - blanking on the name now, but can see the black and white logo - famous artisan pizza place all over Boston and even in Newburyport but I think that one shut down - anyway, I bet you you could have them deliver the pizza to you at the Common which would be even better! Less dragging of kids in the hot sun and more time to play and enjoy!
We ran into an old college friend on the walk back to the Garden, she is ready to have her second boy - same age difference apart as my two. I tried to hide the fear in my eyes for her and only exhibit that it is awesome... when they get bigger... She will be fine! She is much more level headed and calmer than me anyways. We ate lunch, grabbed a quick Carousel ride, and then were on our way home. Beautiful day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment