Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving into Christmas Cheer


I haven't posted since Disney, and we need to get to 100 posts this year, so here you go!  A holiday weekend recap.  We had Thanksgiving for the first time ever without Ama and Grumpy, which was very sad.  But not was good that Red (great-grandpa, or Papa Red as he is called) came down and he saved the day.  There was lots of eating, though it was healthier versions this year - no green bean casserole and instead just steamed green beans.  Only one dessert selection, only white meat turkey.  We did good and made sure to have a cheese course to balance it out.


The boys were great, at times they would shout over voices to be heard and because they just can't handle it when the adults are having conversations of their own - but they learned by the end of the weekend to say "excuse me."  Sort of.  While I sadly worked on Friday, they went to see Frozen.  So bummed I missed then.  Then it was off to Auntie Jennie and Uncle Jeremy's on Saturday for some overnight fun.

 Auntie Jennie and Uncle Jeremy's house is to say the least, not child-proofed.  James was especially annoying.  He does not get the terminology, "No touch."  They got a bit stir crazy and we tried to take them out for walks, actually - it is quite funny.  We brought our whole brood to their house in Lexington, and I was worried the most about the dogs.  The dogs were great, - I have never seen Otter so relaxed.  It was the kids that were nuts.  Joel Husband put them to bed in their day clothes on Saturday night.
 On Sunday Auntie Jennie made gingerbread houses with the boys, which was hysterical because clearly she had thoughts that the house would be perfectly decorated and even said: "when I was a kid I did it nicely, with a professional" - referring to her grandfather, Red who was a baker.  No professional could tame my two hunks, partially eating then throwing candy onto the house then getting bored three minutes later.  It was awesome.  Good memories, and now I have a "semiprofessionally" decorated house on my counter at home to which Joel Andrew always says: "Nana told me I can eat two candies a day."  Thanks, Nana...
 Yesterday was back at the house day, and final Christmas decorating day (except for the tree, which will be this weekend). Joel Andrew and I put out the choo-choos since Grumpy is not here.  James has already touched everything.  The stuffed animals that sing have already driven me nuts.  We read Elf on the Shelf and this is going to be a great Christmas I think.  4 is the year where they get everything, but not enough…  Now we need to find a Santa.  Do I trek all the way down to Burlington for the same guy again?  Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to tell my side of that gingerbread house story... That's totally not what I said... I am calling your bluff... I told them to go to town on theirs... They are kids... But I got my own house since I wanted to do it in traditions form how papa taught me.. Professionally... Or at least that's what I like to think

    ReplyDelete