For Easter this year we made the big drive down to Hilton Head Island to visit Nana and Pa. I prefer the drive rather than the drive to the airport, the waiting in the airport, the flight, the change of planes (though I guess that isn't happening anymore?), then more plane, then more drive. We go all in one night, and get there late morning the next day. The boys slept from 8pm - 7am; I pull the graveyard shift from 3-breakfast, and then breakfast - HHI, and then we are there. No problem.
It is always fun to visit with Nana and Pa, and I think we are getting close to having it down to a science now. Driving helps, as we can bring needed things like helmets and life jackets without too much trouble. I tried really hard to contain the mess this year, but alas it is still crazy. We have learned to make a gracious exit within a few days, rather than sticking around to make any permanent messes! (though with 24 hours left to go I believe there was an epic issue with velcro on a carpet… I owe Karen a depilling stone…)
We bike, we beach, we bike some more and there is eating and card playing too. Joel Andrew's love for the cream cheese bagel reached new heights this trip. James is getting better and better at following Pa and Joelly around, and made it almost the entire trip without a nap. On the last full day though- with his wetsuit on, ready to go to the pool, the kid passed out. He slept, sweat and all, in his wetsuit on Nana's bed for about four hours. He was toast.
The Easter Bunny would not leave us alone. He came to the house the first day, which was awesome for the kiddos. Then, we saw him again at the Bunny Brunch at the Club - where James dominated the 1-3 year old egg hunt. Joel Andrew did not triumph so well at the 4-7 year old egg hunt. I guess the age separation thing really is a good idea. On actual Easter Sunday we had an egg hunt at the house as well, joined by our friends the Witmans. Joel Andrew has a new girlfriend, and so does James. See below. They were already taking their lady friends out for car rides. What's next?
The beach was also a hit. You could spend hours (and we did) at the beach with these kids, just plop some buckets and shovels down, sunscreen them up and then let them go. They will dig tremendous holes and run back and forth with buckets of water, filling up the holes - while they are getting more water, the water melts into the sand. Hours I tell you. It was awesome, and is really having me look forward to this summer a ton.
In the end, the boys all flew home and Mommy made some work stops along the way. I did some blog posts on my work adventures - for work - which I may not actually use for work and so I will end up posting them here I think. It was a great trip, and although I was devastated to leave my boys (I terribly got the thought of - what happens if the plane crashes and I am the only one left? - that was a fun five hours in the car until they told me their plane landed in Boston) - once their plane had landed and I was in my hotel in DC, I was good. I enjoyed seeing the sites, I like a road trip. Now, if only I can come up with a job that is me and my guys all traveling around? Hmm. Wouldn't that be awesome? Too bad this blog thing never really caught on!
Till next year, HHLighthouse! We had a pang of panic when we realized next year we will be at the mercy of the school schedule, so no Easter at HHI for us. That's ok.. we will share with Auntie Jennie and Uncle Jeremy...



No comments:
Post a Comment