Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Holidays at the Williams Household
This year will forever be marked as the busiest holiday season ever for the Williams family. As I type this I interrupt myself in order to get ready for a grand bash - the last of many that have recently occurred - at our house tonight. The Kings, Solsos, Lindstroms and McCrensky-Hardings will all be descending upon the house tonight which means 9 children and 8 adults all sleeping under one roof. It will be plenty a good time.
But before we got to this point we had our first ever kindergarten friends party on Christmas Eve Eve. We invited a few of the friends from Joel's class over - some of them knew each other well and some of them were all new. I put out a grand spread and we had Taylor in the basement with the kiddos as the rompered around. Taylor was quickly terrified, and then we put on a movie. Things were tame upstairs, so tame in fact that I even remarked - normally by this point in the evening we have drunk people. Maybe it is because we are playing holiday music, and not rap music, I remarked. Fast forward 20 minutes from that moment and children were dancing wildly on the ping pong table while parents played darts just a few feet away. Not our proudest parenting moment - but all were safe, and all had a great time. We quickly let go of Taylor - who had remarked: "My parents always had parties like this…" And many stayed until 10pm. It was a good party, hope to replicate something like it in the summer when we can fit more people inside. Maybe an annual Christmas Eve, Eve tradition? Who knows?
On Christmas Eve the Williams and the Perkins made it and then Christmas Day the Halls came. It was special to have everyone around for the first time in a number of years - and especially for Lucie's first Christmas. Of course there were way too many presents, but we had the garbage and recycling thing down pat. The boys really enjoyed all of Santa's presents but it of course got to them. Joel whined he kept wanting to open more and more and all I could think about is that we were making the world's largest brat. But, alas.
It took us all day to open all the presents we had and even at the end we kept finding others that we forgot to give to one another. It really is a bit ridiculous, but all of us participate so what can you do? The boys seemed genuinely thankful at the end of the day.
We were off to Sunday River for a long weekend, and now we are here for tonight. I was able to settle some things at work - and finally come to the conclusion of what my museum needs, which is terrifying and not going to make me relax for 2015… But, I shall not worry about that tonight. I shall go straighten my hair and then kiss my boys and party like it is 1999.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment